Tyre question

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Alan H

Tyre question

Post by Alan H »

As most may be aware, I'm fitting GS550 alloy wheels to the GT550 (they fit without modifying the bike other than the GS550 swing arm which goes straight in) so the difference in tyres on the GT is 3.25x19 front and 4.00x18 back, but 100/90x19 front and 120/90x18 rear on the GS. Has anyone used the slightly wider tyres on their 550/750?
Just wondering is all. There should be enough room in there for slightly wider tyre(s).

Oh, and apparently the wider tyres are 'tubeless' whereas the rimes aren't so I'm waiting for Dunlop to email back with their comments about that anomaly. I need to know if tubes can be fitted in tubeless tyres. Can't see why as it's the rims that make them tubeless as much as the tyres themselves AFAIK.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
astrax

Re: Tyre question

Post by astrax »

Hi Alan

I have 100/90 x 19 and 120/90 x 18 on my GT750, the 120 just fits in without rubbing the swinging arm, I have fitted wider rims, 2.5" on the front and 3" rim on the back, the 3" rim could take a larger tyre but on the standard 750 swinging arm not enough room, but not sure what the GS ones are like space wise.

Ian
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

8-) Hi Alan,have the same sizes fitted as Ian on my 750,(BT45's) yes you can fit tubes to tubeless tyres,I have done so for years,I also get the bike shop to check the tubes while they fit new tyres...just a safety thing I like to have done 8-) Bike has standard spoke rims by the way :P I used to have an early Subaru wagon with selected 4WD with tubeless tyres,I had tubes in them in case I ever bent a rim or something while off road :?:
Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

The local motorcycle shop that I have used for years always said you can put a tube in a tubeless tyre but not leave a tube out of tyre that requires one.

But with the endless advances in technology its best to ask.
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Alan,I have been using the bigger size tyre' in both Dunlop BT 45's and Avon Roadriders,on GS alloys (both with a tube) also on Campbray/Melber alloys,also with tubes,covering many 1,000's of miles with no problems.Just make sure to get them properly balanced.

Cheers,John.
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Dunlop tech support rang today and said that they would not recommend a tube in a tubeless tyre although if a heavy duty one was used there shouldn't be a problem.
But if I did it, it would be my decision as they could not be seen to allow this sort of heinous act.
Of course this could not be put in writing, hence the phone call.

(Some of that is my interpretation!!)
Attachments
thud.gif
thud.gif (4.55 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

But if they put it in writing then you might have to tell the insurance company??. Or is this arse covering??. I wonder how many of us are riding around with tubes in tubless tyres. I wonder if the insurance companies check the machine in the case of an accident.
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

I regularly use tubes in tubeless tyres due to the fact you can't get that many tubed type tyres in the right sizes anymore. Never had any probs. The only thing I read when looking into this many years ago is the fact that because a tubeless tyre has a soft inner liner this can generate friction between tyre and tube. Would not have expected any issues with the slightly wider tyre, my kettle runs a 150 rear now with no issues on clearance to frame or fittings.
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

astrax

Post by astrax »

I don't use dunlops but this bit was something I did not know

All Dunlop street tyres should be installed with the yellow balance dot at the valve.

I wonder if other makes such as bridgestone have similar marks ?

Ian