Front caliper paint

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
nairb123

Front caliper paint

Post by nairb123 »

I will need to refurb the front calipers on my new toy. They are complete and I have even had the bleed nipples off with out snapping which is a good start. The original paint has almost all come off and will need a complete paint/coating job done.

My question is .... is this best done by a caliper refurb company or hass anybody done this themselves. I have had the Pistons out and other than a new set from cruzinimage All thats needed is a paint job...... famous last words. Oh and a set of brake hoses... and new spokes...and..
itsnotateapot

Re: Front caliper paint

Post by itsnotateapot »

Have A Look here he is a clinic member.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-gt750- ... xjBenYezvg
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

I did mine,very easy job, just strip the paint of with stripper, mask the bits you don't want paint on,and spray the caliper with grey etch primer,then top coat with satin black, I used a stainless piston from a forum member+ stainless nipple and your good to go, finding a quality decal/sticker is the hardest part, there's forum members that make stainless axles/sliders as well, rember if you prep it well, take your time masking it up and spray from a distance keeping the spray moving, do low coverage to avoid runs its a satisfying job!
Have fun!
I found that the two halfs were not a perfect match and had to blow a bit of satin black over the built up caliper to get a perfect finish,I posted pictures on the forum when I done it about 2years ago and the paint is still as it was when finished,
Secret, don't rush! Cruzzing image hoses are good as well!
Cheers Marty!

Got to Your restorations section page 3 and look under brake caliper 550!
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

itsnotateapot wrote:Have A Look here he is a clinic member.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-gt750- ... xjBenYezvg
I did not realize he was on ebay. I did get a quote but then sat down and cleaned up what I had and wondered if I could do the paint job myself.
martyducati wrote:I did mine,very easy job, just strip the paint of with stripper, mask the bits you don't want paint on,and spray the caliper with grey etch primer,then top coat with satin black, I used a stainless piston from a forum member+ stainless nipple and your good to go, finding a quality decal/sticker is the hardest part, there's forum members that make stainless axles/sliders as well, rember if you prep it well, take your time masking it up and spray from a distance keeping the spray moving, do low coverage to avoid runs its a satisfying job!
Thats what I want to hear. I have re-zinced several main bolts in the past so will give these a try & the pistons are almost unmarked The rubbers are all present and ok except the O-rings. so If I do a fair paint job it might look ok and save some cash. A new set of hoses from Cruzzing image is a must along with a master cylinder rebuild kit. I just need to find out if the rebuild kit & hoses fit an re5. I think there was only on type of master cylinder on the re5.
RickyPell50

Post by RickyPell50 »

Hi I have done several caliper refurbishments and I always spray exhausts/calipers and engine casings on Yam ls,s with platicoat barbeque paint obtainable fro B&Q..............................Rick
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Nairb,
Before you paint, its well worth carefully inspecting the groove inside the calliper in which the piston seal fits. You'll find it has a raised line in its centre. The whole groove often gets slightly filled with crud and corrosion and if not cleaned out completely, you can find the brake doesn't release as well as it should. It used a brass wire brush on the dremel tool to get the groove cleaned. Worth getting a new piston seal too as the old one might be a bit less flexible.
What brake fluid will you use?
Cheers,
Mike
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

yeadon_m wrote:Nairb,
Before you paint, its well worth carefully inspecting the groove inside the calliper in which the piston seal fits. You'll find it has a raised line in its centre. The whole groove often gets slightly filled with crud and corrosion and if not cleaned out completely, you can find the brake doesn't release as well as it should. It used a brass wire brush on the dremel tool to get the groove cleaned. Worth getting a new piston seal too as the old one might be a bit less flexible.
What brake fluid will you use?
Cheers,
Mike
Good advice. I yanked the seal out and gave it the dremel treatment. How did we restore bikes before the dremel was invented??.

Now whats with the brake fluid?. Is there something i must know. Is there a new modern one thats kinder to paint and animals?. I need to know.
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automec-Silic ... -YS8EmLT8A
Give this stuff a go it wont harm your newly painted calipers
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Astrax supplies perfect new stainless pad stoppers. You cannot get them anywhere else. Some people rub the old one's down and paint them silver. They last about 5 mins. Kev
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Its best to use a paint that resists brake fluids. I pull the calipers apart, clean up any issues on the castings, then media blast the parts and paint accordingly. Since there are too many variables in the black painted parts on the bikes, I stick to one type of black which is a semi satin finish to standardize the look.
GT750 caliper painted.JPG
Two strokes, its just that simple.