Crash helmet?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
M1kee

Crash helmet?

Post by M1kee »

So we have chosen to ride iconic 1970s motorbikes, but does anyone on here go the whole hog and dress the part? I was looking through Ebay trying to find a suitable crash helmet but the only thing that i could find that fits the bill is the AGV Barry Sheen replica. Is that too naff or is it acceptable?
Suzuki GT750M 1975
BMW 2002, 1976
Gary66

Re: Crash helmet?

Post by Gary66 »

I found a lovely Steve McQueen "Gulf" open faced helmet which was superb, I was having it until I saw the price tag
£550 FFS!!!!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Buy what you like, it's your head.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Get one of these two, just like our Alan's lid :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Might have been 50 years ago when I started on bikes. Not now tho, I try to look after me 'ed. It's the only one I've got!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

Bell make a modern equivalent of the old Bell Star full face, retro looks and modern safety.

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/category/bu ... gJFs_D_BwE
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

this one i had in the 70's, john
griffin clubman
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-clubm ... 7675.l2557

everoak do open face helmets !! if you are not bothered about you face :D
and i do own a agv sheen replica but have only wore it once.
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

This was like the one I had as a yoof, a Kangol gp. Bought from my mums catalog, I wanted a Bell Star more than anything but as an engineering apprentice I couldn't afford one :(
Attachments
IMG_1590.JPG
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

I found an old Bell Star in my store the other week, the shell polished up like new but the foam has disintegrated like it always does :cry: If it's worth anything, I'l probably give it a punt on eBay.
Up until about the late '80s, I always wore an open face helmet and goggles, I used the same lid from aged 17 until I was in my 30's - it was so loose on my head that anything over 60mph, I had to use my lower jaw to pull down on the strap to keep it from flying off! I developed a huge lower jaw from constantly pulling down on my lid :lol: It's hard to imagine now but when I started riding bikes and the helmet law was new, it wasn't unusual for pillions to use a tupperware bowl or similar if no suitable lid was available. I miss the open-face sometimes and they're a lot better for being able to listen out for any warning engine rattles etc than full face helmets. I have got a modern open face but very rarely use it.

As you can probably guess, I'm not the sort of bloke that spends £100's on a new lid every year, my object is to try and stay on the bike and navigate around everyone else safely. So far, so good, (ish).
Drew. '75 GT750M