L/H dimmer - Hi-low switch

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
nairb123

L/H dimmer - Hi-low switch

Post by nairb123 »

I was out on the gt550 the other night when the dimmer/hi-low switch broke. Fortunately it stuck in dip. So I now have it in bits and find that the old switch block is different to those that can be ordered. See pic below...
IMG_2309.JPG
The bottom block is what can be ordered the two images above it are the broken one.

Does anybody know if the new switch block will work in place of the older style....

Ta
Nairb
canaletto5

Re: L/H dimmer - Hi-low switch

Post by canaletto5 »

Have you got a passing button on yours?
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

canaletto5 wrote:Have you got a passing button on yours?
Yup, With a "P" on it.....
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

That's why you only have a little one ;) They are fitted to switches that have a pasing button. I think the block will fit but I am not sure the contacts are in the same place on the contact plate so there could be a problem. I've looked in my bits box and I don't have one of those but I'm sure one of our forum colleagues.......
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

Last edited by nairb123 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky

Post by malky »

I think the long switch is for the type with the pass bit on the actual slider -got one on the GT250K but had to file the risen bit of plastic off so we could turn the lights off - must have come off a different market bike
Mal.
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Ok.. I know a little bit about this one... Suzuki never made this piece/block as a spare part, so carn't be bought.. The reason the bottom of the block is angled like that is, to make space at the back, for the pass button ( P button when pushed in ...)What happens is, over time grit and dust gets in, grease dryers up, and clog things up and affect the sliding movement of the block, and when riding over time, it gets stiff, and with your gloves on, you don't feel the switch movement so much, and start forcing the switch button ( high low ) and then it cracks, then it splits... If you can find them new, I'll have a dozen of them, as I have the same switches in need of that part.. I have taken ones out of my stock to put into customers switch gear, they have sent me for restoration.. 8-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.