Powder Coating Recommendations?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
BAZ

Re: Powder Coating Recommendations?

Post by BAZ »

The thing is it does not need to be that durable the way the bikes are used now! Powder coat looks great when you pick the frame up but when in sunlight it will not look like the deep shine of paint especiall against shiny Zinc. You will scratch it when you put the engine in but the engine will cover the marks.also the painter will have to do more prepration powder coaters will not bother.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

I had my GT550B frame PC'd and wish now I elected two pack. PC -agree with Baz and also, if you chip or scratch it, and you will as its not that hard a finish, you cannot touch it in without it being horribly obvious. With real paint, you have a chance to patch blemishes if you want to. If ever I get around to the light re-resto on my GT380B, I'll have the frame painted :D
Cheers,
Mike
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Cleaned up that mount and can't see any frame damage luckily :-
[img][IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j71/Drewskovitch/Suzuki%20GT750%20M/P1014476_zps3gay273n.jpg[/img][/img]

I've found some more damage though, this time on the rear peg hanger - the castelations that stop the peg turning on the frame have been broken off and they look to have been broken off previously. Anyone had to repair one of these before?

I also need to change the rear exhaust bushes, is it a case of heating up the frame and maybe sticking the bushes in the freezer before trying to slot them in? I know these type of bushes can be a booger to get in sometimes! I figure it'd be best to do this before having the frame painted?

When I got the forks off.....the stantions of which will also need replacing......it looks like the steering head races have been replaced relatively recently....which is nice 8-) I'm not sure if I have the right forks or not as they had gaiters fitted which I gather the M model never had? The bike came with another set of forks - also pitted :roll: I'm thinking of using Crusin' Image stantions, has anyone give them a go?

TIA, Drew.
Attachments
P1014476.JPG
Drew. '75 GT750M
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

I got my forks hard chromed by philpots and they came back a satin finish that is only starting to polish up after 3yrs(still looks a bit patchy) I was afraid to polish it before fitting in case I messed them up, if I was to do it again I would try the c/image ones,instant factory look!