Powder Coating Recommendations?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
RichardsMorphy

Powder Coating Recommendations?

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Can anyone recommend a good place to have my frame done? I do have a local powdercoaters where I've had a few parts done already but although they're not bad, they're not great either and not sure I would trust them with the frame.

Are there any parts of the frame to be weary of when being coated? Threads, bores, dowels etc?

TIA, Drew.
Drew. '75 GT750M
BAZ

Re: Powder Coating Recommendations?

Post by BAZ »

Get it painted 2 pack powder coat is for railings..and no heat to destroy you pipe bushes?
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

BAZ wrote:Get it painted 2 pack powder coat is for railings..and no heat to destroy you pipe bushes?
+1
1976 GT550A in black
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

Last edited by nairb123 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I must admit I've had my last two frames powder coated with superb results. The last one was a race bike which was used hard and it was as good as new five years later when I sold it. Your probably right re the finish as in it looks a lot better than standard but I likes shiny 8-) I have mine done at Elite Engineering in Liverpool who do a superb job, not exactly cheap but he masks all the threads and holes off before coating and he's fairly quick too
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

Last edited by nairb123 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky

Post by malky »

Get ours done at Reality Motorworks in Bristol -Nick does a really good job -does wheel building/polishing and zinc plating too
Mal.
keithbailey

Post by keithbailey »

Base and clear for me every time
Keith
Attachments
IMG_1888.JPG
KETTLE 750 J
BMW S1000XR
Harley Road King
Honda CB750 K
Lambretta 1964 ser 3
slosher

Post by slosher »

Used Black Hammerite Smooth on the 550 frame & swing arm that was 16yrs ago still looks ok today ;)
DSCF3304.JPG
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Thanks to all for the replies.

Is it better to have the frame painted rather than powdercoated because it looks more original.......or are there other advantages?
I know some of the cheaper powdercoaters have no idea when it comes to bike parts and how they're supposed to look and are more used to coating garden gates etc that make up the bulk of their business but powder-coating seems a lot more durable than spray paint. (There's nothing worse than chipping some paint off a freshly painted frame when sticking the motor back in). Is 2 pac as tough?
I can remember when stove enamelling became popular and my mate going on about how he could "hit his frame with a hammer without it leaving a mark"! Impressive stuff back then. Must admit, I don't like the sometimes uneven, globby and way too thick finish you can get with powdercoating if not done "sympathetically".
Drew. '75 GT750M