Frame Engine Mount

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
RichardsMorphy

Frame Engine Mount

Post by RichardsMorphy »

What's going on here then? I'm guessing it's not supposed to look like this? I'm not sure which irks me most, the gaping chasm between the frame and the mount...... or the hammer marks :(
I would love to find out how much my brother paid for this bike, I now know why he kept it quiet and why he couldn't find the key to the garage when I asked if I could have a look on a visit to his a few months before he died :roll:
GT Engine Mount 2.JPG
Drew. '75 GT750M
malky

Re: Frame Engine Mount

Post by malky »

Looks like a crack in the frame at the top as well - I've seen lots of kettles with a gap between the mounting and the frame Japanese mig welding wasn't the best!
Mal.
teazer

Post by teazer »

The gap is a little larger than normal but those cast lugs are not designed to be welded at the ends. As long as the engine bolts fit, they are fine. The hammer marks on the side were probably from trying to get a stuck bolt out.

It almost looks like someone was trying to remove the lug.
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

Thanks. The mounts all line up so I'll just have to see about tidying it up a bit before having the frame painted. I wonder if, during production, Suzuki put a set of cases in the frame with the frame mounts bolted on then tacked them in place?
Drew. '75 GT750M
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

You are correct, simply fill the gap with some body filler to neaten it up after the frame is stripped and cleaned of paint and rust.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
teazer

Post by teazer »

RichardsMorphy wrote:Thanks. The mounts all line up so I'll just have to see about tidying it up a bit before having the frame painted. I wonder if, during production, Suzuki put a set of cases in the frame with the frame mounts bolted on then tacked them in place?
Almost. They would have used a jig to position the lugs in the correct places and let's not forget that frame tubes may be a little out of place too. Frame tubes might be further forward than "normal" on that bike because of tolerances in the bends etc, but as long as the critical parts are in the correct places, the rest doesn't matter.

As Alan mentioned, just clean them up and throw some paint on it. After you confirm that it is not actually cracked of course.
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

I'd clean it up, with a wire brush on a drill, the run a beed of weld in the gap, filling the gap.. then clean the weld up with belt sander, then off to powder coat, or paint.. Job done.. It's a structural point and could fail could be gap going all the way down inside... :D
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.