2 stroke oil

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
bandit 1

2 stroke oil

Post by bandit 1 »

hi all i bought the engine rebuild dvd like every one else, john storrie recomends castrol supper TT 2 stroke oil my problem is that on the bottle that john is holding cost £5.49 acording to the lable the cheepest i can find it is £15.00 per ltr dose anyone do it in 4 ltr or 5 ltr bottles for better price or was the dvd made in the 70s the same as the bikes thanks for your help andy
BAZ

Re: 2 stroke oil

Post by BAZ »

I filmed John about 4 years ago so it should be about the same price I would shop around. Cheers BAZ
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Hi Andy, dont worry too much about the oil, i use silkolene which works out a bit cheaper round here. Think i might even try tescos or asdas brand next time.
By the way, the only thing from the 70's in that dvd was Barrys hairstyle and his flares.
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

i use belray synthetic about £10 a ltr,reckon its best to use a synthetic.
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
didge

Post by didge »

Is it worth pointing out that different types, ie, mineral, semi synthetic, and fully synthetic, shouldn't be mixed.

But In not sure what shouldn't be mixed with what, I expect bazzer will tell us.
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Theres only one oil Castrol R
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Sorry I am no expert on oils so can anybody else explains this one. And while you’re about it explain why mark read doesn’t like the smell. Maybe he’s a Harley man at hart!
didge

Post by didge »

Harsh Baz, Harsh.
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Yeah, that was a bit uncalled for Barry. Just for the record Castrol R smells ok in small quantities but when your stuck behind a smoke belching kettle for a few hours thats got its oil pump adjusted up too high cos he's scared off it seizing (Barry) the novelty quickly wears off.
As for oils as far as i'm aware and do stand to be corrected off anyone, all modern day semi and fully synthetic oils can be mixed with no adverse effects but you cant add a mineral oil such as castrol r into the mix as the two react together forming a thick sludge that has problems getting through the thin oilways.
Ketlechris

Post by Ketlechris »

I raced 2 strokes in the 60's and 70's when Castrol R ( R40 in my case ) was the only oil available that was suitable for racing. We used a mix ratio of between 12-1 and 20-1 ( that's right 12-1 !!! ). With modern synthetic 2 stroke oil their now using about 50 - 1 !!

"R" was good but only for racing, the downfall with the oil is that it's anti corrosive properties are almost zilch and if used for prolonged periods the piston will glaze and the rings will gum up.
We did at least a top-end strip and clean after every meeting.

I don't know what ratio the oil pump feeds at on the kettle but I would guess that it's not pumping at the rate you need to run on "R" !!

If you've been running on a mineral oil and want to change to "R"( more fool you ) you really have to make sure there's no "R" left on the bearings first.

If your a sado and just want the smell just stick a couple of spoonfulls in your petrol. !!