GT750 520 x ring chain

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
fraimless

GT750 520 x ring chain

Post by fraimless »

Has anyone used a 520 x ring chain and sprockets to avoid clearance problems? it looks like a JTF569 and JTR1825 would work,and a 520 should be fine with the stock bikes moderate horsepower.
2strokejohnny

Re: GT750 520 x ring chain

Post by 2strokejohnny »

i put this on my gt750b no clearance problems,2sj
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391447906614? ... rmvSB=true
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

fraimless wrote:Has anyone used a 520 x ring chain and sprockets to avoid clearance problems? it looks like a JTF569 and JTR1825 would work,and a 520 should be fine with the stock bikes moderate horsepower.
Lots of people have used lots of things, but who are you, what, where and why?
A nice intro is always a good start, not I want/need/can I/will it as first post.

Be a nice chap and have another go please. :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:
A nice intro is always a good start, not I want/need/can I/will it as first post.

Hello, my names Paul and I ride a pink motorbike :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Not you yer gret wazzock. He's fraimless (not sure what holds the wheels apart tho'), you're just clueless. :roll:
fraimless

Post by fraimless »

Alan H wrote:
fraimless wrote:Has anyone used a 520 x ring chain and sprockets to avoid clearance problems? it looks like a JTF569 and JTR1825 would work,and a 520 should be fine with the stock bikes moderate horsepower.

Alan, apologies if my lack of forum experience has offended you (and it appears only you). My name is Martin, and I have been an automotive Engineer for the past 40 years. I bought a GT750A at the end of September as a winter project, and the forum (amongst other web sites) has been a great source of information so far, helping me to identify that my bike has many L parts (I knew the tank was wrong at point of purchase)
For the record, my first post was not “I want/need/can I/will it”. It was a simple question if anyone had tried my chain and sprocket suggestion as an alternative to a fatter than stock X ring chain – avoiding the need for stepped (Kawasaki) front sprocket or spacing the Suzuki item away from the gearbox case (and rear wheel hub to keep alignment) and subsequent chain guard clearance risk?. A D.I.D NZ 530 chain (as recommended by some) has a pin length of 22.55mm. A D.I.D x ring VX 530 has a pin length of 23.30mm, where a D.I.D x ring VX 520 has a pin length of 18.70mm and needs no packing, is about 14% lighter, and if you believe http://www.superstreetbike.com, can result in increased rear wheel horse power for a given engine output.
So yes you are correct "Lots of people have used lots of things", not all good and not all bad.
Regards Martin.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of help on here and plenty of banter. Oh, and Alan H as well
If you ask Alan nicely he he’ll send you a free photo of himself so you’ll be able to spot him at any bike meets in the future.

I keep mine in the front window of my house. Keeps the cold callers away and the kids.

Regards

Martin.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

motz.gif
motz.gif (9.68 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Just for Martin.

Not offended at all, It's just polite to introduce yourself first, before asking questions is all.
I daresay there may have been pursed lips (Martin's good at that) by others, but they kept shtum and waited for me as usual.

The first word you posted was 'Has' which signifies a question, not 'Hello my name is summatorother and I have a summatelseorother and I live somewherecompletelydifferent.'
Then can come the 'I need help with a chain (or summatelseissue)'.
Easy really.
We're a friendly lot, and everyone is welcome.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Ah yes, the beautiful English language does has its faults with many different dialects and pronounciations it’s often easy to misunderstand what the other person is saying.

However, has, in my book, means to hold, in Possession of, or own. In this case the member was simply asking does anyone have (or has) the information regarding the fitting of a different size chain. I don’t recall the offer being made of exchanging currency for parts or indeed to take away any parts for free. The only thing the member was asking for was free information which we all share on a regular basis.

My lips are pursed only because the site moderates itself due to the vast majority of members being courteous, well behaved and having respect for other members. The banter on this site is always with good intent and never meant to hurt anyone and I’m sure it will remain that way.

The difference between this site and many others out there is as I’ve explained above. which is why it remains informative professional and good fun.

A simple response would be to ask for an introduction, where you come from etc etc.

Kind regards

Martin

Moderator.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'll have a pint of what Martin's on. ;)