GT550 pipes

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
canaletto5

GT550 pipes

Post by canaletto5 »

Well, for better or for worse, I've bought a pair of non-link pipes for forty sovs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GT-55 ... 2749.l2649

If it costs a a bit to put them right I think it will probably be worth it

Feel free to provide moral support :lol: :D
yeadon_m

Re: GT550 pipes

Post by yeadon_m »

Kev,
Good luck! check for cracks in header pipes. I've had 2-3 go there. Can be repaired by cutting through, braze, fit a thin walled sleeve, braze, grind, polish & chrome, not visible. If faced with a choice of leaving small dints or filling with weld and grinding back, I'd leave them. My repaired 550 outer looked like a mild case of measles after chroming. Better to grind back as best your guy can. Outers usually retain their baffle plates, so long as the rearmost one hasn't rotted away!
The left pipe often hits the rear outer side of the mainstand lug and this causes it to crack from vibes. If so, dent it to clear, then get it welded. Don't ask me how I know :cry:
Otherwise, they do come up well.
Mike
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Thanks Mike, useful tips there. :D
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

You beat me to them :(
I need a rh front section, I've got to cut one off an old pipe and re weld a replacement and then re chrome, that's why one of those would have been good to cut up.
Anyone got a rotten rhs pipe with a rotten silencer that they wish to sell off?
1976 GT550A in black
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

The pipes have arrived and I'm pleased. The right hand needs virtually no work and can go to the chromers The left needs some weld repair around the baffle opening but it is not rust damage so should be do-able. No dreaded baffle rattle.

I also took a mighty punt on a pipe advertised by a seller in the Netherlands. It was advertised for a GT500 but clearly wasn't.
IMG_2646.JPG

It arrived today and I'm glad to say it is a solid right hand pipe non-link that only needs chroming. :D
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Will you do a repair to the scuff on the underside Kev ? Interested to know how you will deal with that. Looks like they have been worth the forty quid :)

Harry
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

crazy4557 wrote:You beat me to them :(
I need a rh front section, I've got to cut one off an old pipe and re weld a replacement and then re chrome, that's why one of those would have been good to cut up.
Anyone got a rotten rhs pipe with a rotten silencer that they wish to sell off?
One or two. What exactly do you need?
Exhausted.jpg
canaletto5 wrote:The right hand needs virtually no work and can go to the chromers
The RH outer is the least common second hand in good nick. Possibly because that's the one that gets all the crap weather on it when the bike is laid up - plus no chain oil plastered on it underneath. Good buy there Kev.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I'll tell you what, some enterprising soul could make a fortune converting the link pipe jobs to non-link. Not that difficult I wouldn't have thought.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I suppose so, you'll just end up wi' a lotta spare bits tho'.
20160322_131727.jpg
20160322_131734.jpg
20160322_131741.jpg
Like that prob'ly. :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

canaletto5 wrote:I'll tell you what, some enterprising soul could make a fortune converting the link pipe jobs to non-link. Not that difficult I wouldn't have thought.
Simple job.