Tank sealer.

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
canaletto5

Re: Tank sealer.

Post by canaletto5 »

mizzytheman wrote:
Tonto wrote:Martin, hi
I used "Flowliner Armour Coat" on my Z900 tank approx 4 yrs ago: went on easy and set like poured glass: so far no signs of any degredation.
Only downside was that it bled thru a tiny pin hole and caused a slight imperfection in the then perfect paint - bugger: :o but was only about 10mm round, and has given the tank a few more years service.
Cheers Tim
Hi Tim,

This is for the Z1300 tank. It was slightly rusty but I treated it with oxalic acid and then rinsed it out. As per usual the flash rust set in so I treated with a bit of petrol and two stoke oil to keep it at bay. The tank then went for painting and its been sat under a blanket in the conservatory for the last few months but the rust has returned. Unfortunately, a bit heavier than when I first treated it.

The reason for sealing the tank is mainly to stop the rust getting into my refurbished carbs. I was thinking of cleaning again with oxalic acid or treating with POR 15, "Metal Prep" which etches the metal and leaves a zinc phosphate coating on the inside. Not sure if the zinc phosphate will wash out once petrol goes in the tank. Either way I don't want to damage the paintwork on the tank.
I've posted a bit on this before but I've used a citric acid solution to derust then rinse through with very hot water( bucket of tap hot topped up with a slug of boiling). As soon as it has drained out, the heat starts to evaporate the moisture. Next, spray loads of WD40 into the filler hole using the straw attachment until there is enough to start sloshing around and it begins to run out of the fuel tap hole.Rotate the tank so it coats the inside but remember the flash rust occurs mainly around the filler hole area so make sure that is well coated.If you aren't using the tank straight away, keep refreshing the WD40 every few weeks. It works. Btw, I have used oxalic acid and found that as it dries it leaves a chalky coating. Citric acid does the biz.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I treated my T500 tank exactly as Kev said before I posted it to him for painting. It came up a treat and it’s still rust free months after he returned it to me.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

PaulD738 wrote:I treated my T500 tank exactly as Kev said before I posted it to him for painting. It came up a treat and it’s still rust free months after he returned it to me.
Hi Paul,

Did you buy it in powder or liquid form. How much did you use and what ratio. How long did you leave it for.

Was thinking of using phosphoric acid but not sure if it will damage the paint work.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I sent Paul the mixing info but I can't find it at the mo. I will dig it out. Dirt cheap. Phosphoric is hugely expensive compared to citric and will also leave a sticky residue if you allow it to dry off which can only be removed with more phoshoric acid. Citric just washes away with warm water. Kev
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

emptyoiltank

Post by emptyoiltank »

Trouble with rust is it embeds itself in all the seams and joints and to clean every bit out is next to impossible hence when you seal it your sealing the rust in.
The liner in my S2 tank was solid but the rust was forming underneath and when I stripped the paint it revealed the pinholes in the lower edges along the seams, the tank held fuel but I couldn't leave it.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hi Martin
Recently used a product called RUST ABSORB-7 on the Bonnie tank if it's just rust you want to remove from inside the tank,it only attacks the rust and leaves good solid parent metal looking like bright steel.Mix 20% neat to 70c water and fill the tank and leave 24hrs give a good rinse out.
Company in Bridgtown Cannock WS11 0AZ http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Not sure which method to go with now but I’ll let you know how I get on.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

The plan worked then :lol: :lol:
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Just ordered citric acid from eBay. I’ll let you know how it goes.