1977 vehicles now road tax exempt

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
swarrans

Re: 1977 vehicles now road tax exempt

Post by swarrans »

Harrymail wrote:
In the first year, to renew road tax then the vehicle would need to have a current mot, before the exemption could be applied for. It is thought by the FBHVC that having to have a current mot on a vehicle that is potentially mot exempt does not make sense. Further guidance is to be issued before 20th May. So with ony a few weeks to go it is unclear as yet what the new procedures will be for mot exemption.

To me it does not make sense to self declare that your vehicle is roadworthy, most people will make the declaration regardless.

Harry
I'm not sure why the FBHVC think that the bike will have to already be MoT'd to apply for exemption TBH - the DVLA document already referenced (and copied and pasted below) seems to state pretty clearly that you don't to me..
How to declare a vehicle for the 40 year MOT exemption
Vehicle keepers are required to ensure that their vehicles are taxed when used on a
public road. From 20 May 2018, at the point of taxing a vehicle, the vehicle keeper
can declare their vehicle exempt from MOT if it was constructed more than 40 years
ago.
When declaring an exemption, you will be required to confirm that it has not been
substantially changed (as defined in this guidance). This process will be applied to
pre-1960 registered vehicles, as well as newer vehicles in the historic vehicle tax
class.
If the vehicle does not have an MOT and you wish to continue using it on the public
roads, you will have either to undergo an MOT or, if you wish exemption from the
MOT, to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.
If the vehicle has a current MOT certificate but you anticipate that on expiry of that
certificate you will wish exemption from future MOTs you will at the time of
relicensing be required to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.

In addition, Jeff responded to my question about if you have to fill in the V112 every year by telling us it is a one-off and therefore once registered as a VHI it will always be MoT exempt.

Simon
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

swarrans wrote:
Harrymail wrote:
In the first year, to renew road tax then the vehicle would need to have a current mot, before the exemption could be applied for. It is thought by the FBHVC that having to have a current mot on a vehicle that is potentially mot exempt does not make sense. Further guidance is to be issued before 20th May. So with ony a few weeks to go it is unclear as yet what the new procedures will be for mot exemption.

To me it does not make sense to self declare that your vehicle is roadworthy, most people will make the declaration regardless.

Harry
I'm not sure why the FBHVC think that the bike will have to already be MoT'd to apply for exemption TBH - the DVLA document already referenced (and copied and pasted below) seems to state pretty clearly that you don't to me..
How to declare a vehicle for the 40 year MOT exemption
Vehicle keepers are required to ensure that their vehicles are taxed when used on a
public road. From 20 May 2018, at the point of taxing a vehicle, the vehicle keeper
can declare their vehicle exempt from MOT if it was constructed more than 40 years
ago.
When declaring an exemption, you will be required to confirm that it has not been
substantially changed (as defined in this guidance). This process will be applied to
pre-1960 registered vehicles, as well as newer vehicles in the historic vehicle tax
class.
If the vehicle does not have an MOT and you wish to continue using it on the public
roads, you will have either to undergo an MOT or, if you wish exemption from the
MOT, to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.
If the vehicle has a current MOT certificate but you anticipate that on expiry of that
certificate you will wish exemption from future MOTs you will at the time of
relicensing be required to declare that the vehicle is a VHI.

In addition, Jeff responded to my question about if you have to fill in the V112 every year by telling us it is a one-off and therefore once registered as a VHI it will always be MoT exempt.

Simon
It would seem that the information that I have from the FBHVC may be a little out of date. I still cannot get my head round one part though, and that is if you have taxed your bike before 20th May, as I have and many others will have, it will not be due to be taxed again for 12 months. Therefore if the declaration can only be made at the time of taxing the bike, then it could be 12 months until MOT exemption can be applied for. Unless you can SORN the bike after 20th May, then apply to tax it again, and at the same time declare it a vehicle of historic interest to gain MOT exemption. Does not make sense to me :?
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

As you suggest Harry I guess you just sorn your bike, reclaim the tax and then apply for free tax and mot free status - and it will only happen once...

Simon
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Yer wanna bet?
There will be a cockup somewhere - the DVLA is involved.............
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Yes I'd take that bet - it's been that way on pre 1960 vehicles for years...
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Yesterday, I took my 3 V5C docs along to our local post office & the guy behind the counter knew the drill, filling our Historic, getting me to sign and then he stamped them and sent them off to DVLA. Fingers crossed while I wait!
Cheers,
Mike
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

My fingers are still crossed,3weeks now! :oops:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

DVLA don't do urgent. Be patient.
750dunc

Post by 750dunc »

My 1976 750 A mot ran out today and tax in a couple of days, still not clear on this new mot law. If I wait until 20 May can I just take my docs to the post office get free tax as I did last year and it should come up as no mot required and all is well. Anyone know any better, thanks
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

It's gotter be MOT'd 1st time you declare MOT exemption.
Can't remember if you need V112 or V122 form. I'm in a pub and have more important things ongoing!