Oil comsuption

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Porschekz

Oil comsuption

Post by Porschekz »

Hi gents,
I just finish the restoration of my 1972 750 J bike and I' m wondering over the oil comsuption. I refurbished the oil pump with new seals and check it following the abundant info existing in the foro. Everithing was ok, but... I'm so concerned since the oil comsuption (castrol red)seems to me so low.

I' ve also owns several classic spanish 2 strokes bikes (Ossa and Bultaco) with manual oil mix. At the 2% of oil mix I never have had any problem but it looks that my Suzi consums around 1% of oil or even less at moderate speed. This is why and in order to prevent any big dissaster I' m mixing 1% of oil in the fuel tank to run the bike. Even in these conditions it is not smoking so much.

Could any one of you confirm me what is the roughly (in %) oil comsuption at middle-moderate speeds (urban use and non more than 60milles/h).

Cheers, Juan
mizzytheman

Re: Oil comsuption

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi Juan,

Members have posted information about their fuel/oil consumption here http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... php?t=3989

Hope this helps.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

First of all I would not be too concerned at the lack of smoke. New fully synthetic oils, like castrol red burn very clean and leave very low carbon deposits. What colour are your spark plugs ? If they are a nice Tan colour with no white deposits that indicates it's running okay. It is not a good idea to mix oil in the petrol tank as you are changing the fuel/oil ratio and may cause the cylinders to overheat because the petrol has a cooling function too. It's okay to start with on a newly rebuilt engine. Because the engine is pump fed it is quite efficient and at idle very little oil is fed to the cylinders. If you are worried just make sure oil is pumping okay by running the motor and loosen each banjo on the end of the oil feed and oil should seep out.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Porschekz

Post by Porschekz »

Thanks a lot for your quick anwsers. I tryed to found something in previous posts but probably I didnt use the right key words., :D :D