Gt750L tyre options

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
stevewharton

Re: Gt750L tyre options

Post by stevewharton »

Too risky with a tube, all that hard work and then find you've nipped the tube and got a puncture, dont't ask how I know. :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
lairdofsmoke

Post by lairdofsmoke »

When you do get your new tyres fitted on the bike, don't forget to take it steady for the first 100miles or so, no more than 60 mph and as slow as poss in the corner's, plus try not to subject them to heavy breaking.
The tyre supplier/fitted should tell you this, it's a matter of legal binding of due care and dilligence.
Once run-in you may find the recommended tyre pressure doesn't suit you and your way of riding (everyone is different thank goodness), you can lower them by a couples lbs if feel like it, it's the old adage of suck it and see. Bridgestone rec front 32 psi (I prefer 30 psi) and 36 rear, I go for 34 or 36 depending on what I'm doing, if normal on own 34, if passenger or camping gear etc the 36 is my options. By the way also your weight comes into play, I'm 14stone, don't know what that is in kilos or whatever,don't do yank weights either, English is the proper way.
On fragrant cloud
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

I've changed tyres on my trail bikes dozens of times because I've never been arsed about marking the rims. I've always had road bikes done at the shop as their machines put them on slicker and with minimal chance of marking the rims.
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Thanks everyone, I'll let the bike shop do it. I've found a place with a good reputation who'll do them for £15 each which seems fair. Just need to get them off the bike now!

Simon
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

A right pain...getting the wheels on & off,
I've had the back wheel out of a Kettle to fix a flat tyre...what a job ‼️ :twisted: :oops:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

I've had the back wheel out of FAB so many times in the 32 years I've owned it, I could almost do it with my eyes shut. New tyres, probably 20 plus, punctures, about 4, new chain, sprockets, brake shoes, bearings etc, many times, of course you try to do most of these jobs at the same time. :roll:
The last time I fitted a new chain and sprockets I went for an endless heavy duty chain after having had problems in the past with the split link on split chains. This makes removing the wheel a bit more of a bind and a longer job, because the front sprocket has to be removed from the shaft so the chain can be moved clear of the rear sprocket to get the wheel out. Oh the joys of owning a bike and doing all the work on it yourself. :tw
Having said that, the heavy duty endless chain was money well spent.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

Roger Ackery wrote:A right pain...getting the wheels on & off,
I've had the back wheel out of a Kettle to fix a flat tyre...what a job ‼️ :twisted: :oops:
I'm sure we all have our own way of getting the back wheel out I've always found this to be the easiest method for me.
With the bike on the main stand I remove the rear shocks and torsion bar from the hub which then allows the swing arm to be raised (and held with a locking/ratchet strap) enough to pull the hub axle bolt out above the exhaust. As you'll know the wheels ain't light so before pulling the hub axle I place something under the wheel/tyre to take the weight off the axle whilst still keep it above the exhaust, this makes refitting everything much easier too.