how hard can it be ????????????

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
didge

how hard can it be ????????????

Post by didge »

Simple job, (or not)

The barrels are on, I've just gonna put the head on, and torque it down, 10 mins max, simple, or so you would think...................

I couldn't get two of the long sleeve nuts to start, it looked like the barrel bolts were crooked, off the barrels , bend 'em slightly, barrels back on, the bolts are in the same place, I took the barrels off so many times I took the rings out, didn't matter what I did the bolts always ended in the same position, I even replaced one of 'em, after 5 hours, yup, 5 hours, my son noticed half way down the barrel bolt was catching on something, it turned out the barrel puller had caught the side of the casting when removing them at the start of the job, creating a little lip, AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Push a drill through, 5 minutes later, job done.
didge

Re: how hard can it be ????????????

Post by didge »

To be honest, and at the risk of sounding a bit girly, I was so frustrated I was close to tears, I wanted to take a axe to it but my son was the stabalizing force here.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

I well remember the time I became moist eyed after hours of not being able to work out why my indicator circuit wouldn't work (it had before). My daughter found me gently banging my head on the wall muttering something in Anglo Saxon. She learned about dads persistence that day and I learned something too. Like don't assume that the fecking LED signal relay is still working just because it was earlier. I'd shorted it out and blown it up. A few quid on ebay, a 2 day wait and 2mins later, jobs a good un. Mind you I now know how indicators work!!

anyone else for soul baring? (just don't get me going on carburettors ;-)))
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Yep, hooked up the new wiring turned ignition on and all lights/indicators/horn etc etc worked perfectly even the neutral light was shining bright and green ...... only problem was the blue wire that go's to the neutral switch by the front sproket wasn't even connected. Took me a fair hour or so to suss what i'd done wrong.
I'll leave that one open for you to work out what i'd done.... Its a k model by the way so has no digital gear indicator just in case you started going down that route.
didge

Post by didge »

I don't think I'd care if the light worked.
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

would have been a bit of a pain being on in all gears
didge

Post by didge »

Right oh, i didn't realise that, can you see why I aint a motorcycle mechanic now.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

So what was it Mark!
didge

Post by didge »

Come on Mark, stop teasing us all, what was it ?

Here's a top tip for you, when you put your alternator assembly back together pay particular attention to the position of the electrical insulating washer that holds the brush assembly in, cos if you don't it MIGHT cost you many hours and dozens of fuses tracking it down.

Not that I know anyone that'll be that stupid, oh no no no no no, not me.

(I'm crap at this bike building malarky aint I)
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Both alternator and rectifier have the same 4 pin plugs on although the rectifier only has 3 spades going into the plug and 1 blank. On the electrical side where the rectifier plugs into all 4 holes have got terminals in them. When i pinged that spare wire it appears to be spliced into the neutral wire for some reason and if you get a bit confused and plug your alt and rec the wrong way round because the alts got 4 spades it earths the neutral light causing it to be on even if not connected to the switch. if anyone knows why theyve spliced this wire and ran it to the blank hole in the rectifier plug in the first place... i'd be glad to know