for those who are getting a MOT

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
oldbiker

for those who are getting a MOT

Post by oldbiker »

I keep a spreadsheet for the bikes/vehicles that shows when the MOT/Tax is due. In normal times it seems to work. So I was surprised when I turned up for an MOT to find it was not due for another 6 months. Well yes its the govs new rules.... said the man.
So its worth using the gov's "check a vehicle" to see when the MOT due. Not all my vehicles have had 6 months added to the mot date(yet). Maybe it happens a month before the mot is due. It may save you a journey.

But then all you people with "historic" vehicles dont need to worry(maybe).

ob
stevewharton

Re: for those who are getting a MOT

Post by stevewharton »

Hi OB, I've just put my kettle through an MOT on Monday (passed :P ) with no mention by the tester of the six month extension rule. :?:
Didn't really need to have it tested because as you said it qualifies for the "historic vehicle" exemption, which I've taken advantage of for the last couple of years.
However, as you also said, declaring your bike "roadworthy" to qualify, which I do each time I tax it :roll: and is a legal requirement even though the fee is zero, could be a mistake, because in the event of an insurance claim after an accident, your insurance company is much more likely to have your bike vigorously checked over and the claim dismissed for the smallest over-looked fault.
So my tester has recommended that a test every other year makes good sense.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

The 6 month extension is added on 7 days before the expiry of the current MOT. So if you go in for an MOT earlier, it will show as due, even though it would be rolled forward if left until 7 days before.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
oldbiker

Post by oldbiker »

Harrymail wrote:The 6 month extension is added on 7 days before the expiry of the current MOT.
Well that explains why some bikes have had their mot's extended. Might have made more sense to extend it as soon as its possible to renew the current mot. ie.the 30 odd days before the expiry of the current MOT.
stevewharton wrote: Didn't really need to have it tested because as you said it qualifies for the "historic vehicle" exemption, which I've taken advantage of for the last couple of years.
the insurance company is much more likely to have your bike vigorously checked over and the claim dismissed for the smallest over-looked fault. So my tester has recommended that a test every other year makes good sense.
Yes I take the "Historic" vehicles for an mot each year for that reason. The mot tester also claimed that bikes with an mot history made more money at the Stafford show auction. Maybe he would say that?. Maybe he's right.
And its good to have a fresh set of eyes to check the bikes also.

`
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Just checked my modern bike and yes the MOT has been automatically extended to October, shame i cant ride it :cry:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Gary66 wrote:Just checked my modern bike and yes the MOT has been automatically extended to October, shame i cant ride it :cry:
You can get lessons you know, as long as your bikes are 2m apart :lol:
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

canaletto5 wrote:
Gary66 wrote:Just checked my modern bike and yes the MOT has been automatically extended to October, shame i cant ride it :cry:
You can get lessons you know, as long as your bikes are 2m apart :lol:
You don’t need lessons to ride a modern bike they do it all for you :tw
Tin hat at the ready :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

stevewharton wrote:Hi OB, I've just put my kettle through an MOT on Monday (passed :P ) with no mention by the tester of the six month extension rule. :?:
Didn't really need to have it tested because as you said it qualifies for the "historic vehicle" exemption, which I've taken advantage of for the last couple of years.
However, as you also said, declaring your bike "roadworthy" to qualify, which I do each time I tax it :roll: and is a legal requirement even though the fee is zero, could be a mistake, because in the event of an insurance claim after an accident, your insurance company is much more likely to have your bike vigorously checked over and the claim dismissed for the smallest over-looked fault.
So my tester has recommended that a test every other year makes good sense.
Considering checking my bike out every other year Steve, just to check I haven't missed anything. As was said in an earlier post "anyone can make a mistake"

Do you get a valid MOT Certificate from the tester? even though our bikes are classed as Historic and don't need one.

Regards Jeff
GT750A
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Hi Jeff, yep I got an MOT cert' when it passed on Monday, shame they're just a boring A4 sheet of printed paper now though, instead of the smaller green proper certificates we used to get, not much changes for the better eh?

Just a thought for anyone using the 40 year old vehicle exemption, does the 6 month extension apply to them?
Worth considering in case a keen bobby stops you. :roll:
Shouldn't apply really I know, because the MOT exemption is probably done at the same time as the "Free" road tax, but a keen bobby usually can't be argued with. :?
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Thanks Steve,

It's a good thing for the history of our vehicle too if we've had proof it's regularly been checked.

Take care
Jeff
GT750A