BRAKE FLUID AND PAINT

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
BAZ

BRAKE FLUID AND PAINT

Post by BAZ »

I need to bleed a new brake system and decided to use fully synthetic .5.1 I believe this will not attack paint any experts out there!
mart

Re: BRAKE FLUID AND PAINT

Post by mart »

Did gb2stroke mean yep he is an expert, or yep this stuff will not attack paint.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Done a bit more research looks like .5 is the only one that does not attack paint .5.1 does. So where can I get some today!
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

How spooky is that Baz doing the same today, let me know if you get some before I do.
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Halfords.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

.5.1 strips paint you need .5
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Guys, you can get DOT 5.1 from Harley Dealers (at least I did) as I think that is standard on those hanger queens. Its a shocking purple colour.

Warnings from someone who did it and wished he didn't - OK, it doesn't strip paint, but thats the only plus.
Downsides:
-its beeping pricey (3-4x as much as DOT4)
-it lubricates less than what you are used to, so the lever may not return as easily in the m/cylinder.
-it feels a bit more spongey even when all the air is bled out - I don't like this. Brakes are fine though.
-it doesn't absorb water - which I know is supposed to be a plus - but if any water does get in, it runs south and rots your caliper (unless you change the fluid every 2y which we're all supposed to)

Finally, I was told that changing fluid type really should be done after complete dissembly so as to avoid any untowards effects of mixing old and new fluid - it can turn into a goo that blocks the master cylinder return port.

Cheers,
MikeY
Bluehazebrakes

Post by Bluehazebrakes »

make the system up and bleed it on the bench then fit complete to the bike no fluid anywhere near the paint
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Why are you bothering with synthetic 5.1 Barry ? Your such a big fan of old school Castrol R oil blah blah blah.
Just pour some chip pan oil in your master cylinder and be done with it !!
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Sorry no chip pan here. Only allowed oven chips. Her indoors is trying to keep me alive a bit longer. Anyway DOT.5 is the good stuff DOT 5.1 Strips paint