Fuel tap puzzle

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
didge

Fuel tap puzzle

Post by didge »

I have two set of tanks and side panels, one in Met grey and one in maui blue, and recently one of the taps was weeping fuel so I reconditioned both the taps with new rubbers etc.

But one of the taps is bolted directly to the tank, and the other has a sort of spacer in the shape of the tap base for the fixing bolts to go through, it's in the parts catalogue, but why, what's it's purpose in life, and does it make a difference having it or not ?

I keep scratching my head over this one, but all I get is a painful red patch where I used to have hair.
BAZ

Re: Fuel tap puzzle

Post by BAZ »

This spacer will alter the reserve range. Maybe it has another purpose anybody!!!
didge

Post by didge »

After replacing the rubbers and everything relevent in my tap it still leaked, hmm, says I, "what the **** have I done wrong now, it should be oh so simple"

On further investigation I discovered the bolts holding the tap to the tank has a washer on them, they are ordinary steel washers, BUT apparently as the bolt goes straight through into the tank, it can allow fuel to pass through its threads and leak out the end giving the appearance the tap itself is leaking.

I change the washers for fibre ones and it's now as dry as a nun, happy days.
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Pucker washers can be sourced from GT Reiner but if your fibre ones do the job will done mate. KK
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Suzuki 3 Bond works also.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

the ones I gto from GTReiner were, surprisingly to me, aluminium crush type, not fibre. But thats what he sent so I will fit them. With a bit of hermatite blue for luck (worked on my GT380 tank / tap).
Cheers,
MikeY