Fork seals

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Fork seals

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
I fitted new seals this weekend but front wheel not ready so can't yet test to reassure me they don't leak when I pump them.

The type I fitted were what Suzuki sold me, these do not have an upward 'lip' on the top seal, unlike the ones on my GT380B. That bike suffered leaks when I used seals that looked very similar to the ones I have fitted to the 750, leaks which totally went away when I fitted the lipped type. My GSX1400 also has lipped seals. But the plain type is what Suzuki sold me for the GT750 so in they went....

I know very little about seals but from what little I do know, the upward facing lip type are definately 'wiper seals' and those without are typically seals for a rotating shaft and might leak in sliding mode.

Has anyone experienced new fork seal leakage from the top? are there different designs of seals on sale?
Cheers!
MikeY
yeadon_m

Re: Fork seals

Post by yeadon_m »

No one had anything other than joy from fork seal land?

By the way, Reiner told me there are at least two types, those with one spring and those with two (I have latter). He says latter leak less but can take something away from plushness due friction.