Brake disc runout - how much is really OK?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Brake disc runout - how much is really OK?

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
I had my discs resurfaced and they look great. However when I put them back on the hub and mounted the wheel, the left one has runout close to Suzukis limit of 0.3mm which sounds a huge 'allowable' tolerance to me.
I plan to take the wheel and disc back off again as I wonder if I've got a bit of grit between the disc and hub. Anyone experienced this and how much is it worth minimising runout?
Cheers,
MikeY
yeadon_m

Re: Brake disc runout - how much is really OK?

Post by yeadon_m »

Me not much techy either, just brute force and a bit of thought (ie if it was OK before and now its not...well, that'll be me then wot did it!).
I took it apart again, removed the dabs of black paint on the hub-facing surface of the disc (as I'd got a bit on there when painting up the centres) and it seems a lot better now.
Proof when I ride it. Not too long now.
MikeY