Crankcase bolt #13

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Crankcase bolt #13

Post by yeadon_m »

Folks,
Last year I noticed a very slight drip from one of the lower bolts, and eventually learned about #13, the only lower one that goes through into the oil compartments.
As the bike is being restored and is dry right now, I took out #13 today, added one of those aluminium 'crush' washers, smeared it with blue hermatite and popped in back in. Has anyone else had #13 drip syndrome and what did you do to permanently rid yourself of this embarrasing ailment?
Cheers,
Mike
didge

Re: Crankcase bolt #13

Post by didge »

When I did mine I put a new crush washer on and the suzuki gasket stuff from crooks, (I can't think what it's called now,I'm sure someone will tell us, it's the stuff they use in Baz's engine rebuild DVD,money well spent in my opinion[the dvd AND the sealer]) and I've had no problems with it.

Also, after about 400 miles, I re-torqued the head down again, they ALL needed it.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Its best to remove the split washer then put loads of Suzuki 3 Bond on the bolt then quickly turn the engine the right way up so the sealer collects round the bottom of the bolt. This usually works. BAZ
widget

Post by widget »

used a copper washer and a bit of sealer on mine. worked a treat.
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Have a look at my part of rebuild about Number 13 Mike just for info.
regards KK