Fitting seat trims

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Fitting seat trims

Post by yeadon_m »

Chaps, I've got a new seat which comes trim-less, and an old trim, plus one of Reiners seat trim fitting kits (rivets and spring washery things).
Anything to watch out for doing this job? don't want to make holes in the wrong place or reinvent the wheel. Love to learn from what you've done before!
Cheers,
Mike
BAZ

Re: Fitting seat trims

Post by BAZ »

Yes done this but I used the fixings from the old seat. Just make sure you drill the holes in the same place. Also the strip is stainless steel so while it’s of put it on the polishing mop and it comes up like Chrome! Cheers BAZ
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Baz, yep, discovered the polish-ability last night. You can even get rid of nasty scratched by starting with 600 or 400 grit wet/dry, then up to 1500 and then polishing. Now it does look chromey!
Cheers,
Mike
bandit 1

Post by bandit 1 »

hi chaps i need to do mine as well but cannot find the trim any idears
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Fraid its a matter of lurking on fleecebay and putting in a bid bid.
I did notice some of the 70s Hondas and yams had similar looking trims, but never got around to researching whether these are available and adaptable. Worth a thought. Another might be to contact some of the more famous seat recovering firms, they might know whats possible.
Cheers!
Mike
mart

Post by mart »

I used a car self adhesive universal chrome trim bought on ebay for a temporary make do until i found one on ebay for £50 the one in the picture is is the car trim i have not changed it for the original yet.
Attachments
IMG_1214 (Small) (2).JPG
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Well, I found fitting this not too bad, but hard to get the shape 'right'. If I was doing it again, I'd take a little longer to try and get the profile at the sides towards the tail a bit closer to the seat base/edge, but the trim resists being bent that way.
Reiner's seat trim fitting kit works a treat, and Baz is spot on - it does look like chrome!!
Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
GT750B seat trim fitted006 (Large).jpg
GT750B seat trim fitted002 (Large).jpg
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Did a bit better with the seat & trim for my GT750A (a keeper). Trim came up even brighter and after a bit more patience, I persuaded it to follow the seat edge more evenly all round. One tip if your seat strap is a tad slack is to add a wider diameter washer under the two nuts that secure it to the seat base - try different diameters until it just nips the strap down as you'd like it.
Also, I used the stem of a 2.5mm drill, heated with a blow torch, to melt pre-marked holes through the cover before drilling to avoid the fabric unravelling when drilling through the seat base. Worth using a centre punch to help locate the skinny pilot drill as you first go through the sides of the base, then a clearance hole. Much neater.
Cheers!
MikeY
Attachments
GT750A seat trimmed004 (Large).jpg
GT750A seat trim polished! (1) (Large).jpg
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

I know its a free country, but it makes me a bit cross that someone sells a seat trim fitting kit (winning bid £36) when Reiner will supply a better kit for half the price. I guess its a case of buyer beware eh?
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

LOL
Out 2mrw for a blast over to surrey on the GSX1400