Carbs

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
yeadon_m

Re: Carbs

Post by yeadon_m »

Mike,
I am pretty sure you'll know this, but if you change the butterflies, you may enjoy some wrestling matches getting them out, as the two recessed screws are (I think) peened over to make them impossible to accidentally have them sucked into the motor. Often the screw heads are knackered making it even more fun (in my limited experience: n=2 sets). Also, twisting the shaft while doing this is a risk (and then they won't close properly). Finally, the butterfly shaft seals are critical to air sealing so may be candidates for replacement when you swap the butterflies. Not cheap, either!
I was glad to trace the history of the carbs on my GT750A and was relieved to know they'd been properly overhauled before the bike came to me, so I was lucky and only needed a light clean to make it all good.
Good luck!
Mike
mike738

Post by mike738 »

Hi

thanks barry i would appreciate that

and thanks mike I was very lucky with my carbs i stripped them completely as they were covered in god only knows what it was all the butterflys came out fine

mike
Lotabob

Post by Lotabob »

Hi I’ve been trying to find a part number for the butterfly shaft air seals so I can get them locally here in Florida, I understand mikuni are supplying them again and local dealer deals with sudco who are the supplier of mikuni parts but we cannot find them listed in the catalogue.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Bob
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Bob,
Available here in UK at a mere £2.50 each.
https://www.discountbikespares.co.uk/ou ... GT750.html
Note, these are Mikuni BS40 carbs, and Suzuki never sold these seals as separate parts. I have a spare set for the distant future! just iun case they are d/c.
Cheers,
Mike
Lotabob

Post by Lotabob »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply I'll get some, then with everything else I’ve done to the carbs hopefully this will sort out the bucking once and for all it’s been a real pain trying to get it right.

Thanks Bob
teazer

Post by teazer »

Bob, you can get them from MikesXS which I believe is down your way. Many Mikuni BS carbs use the same seal for the shafts. I have a pair of XS650 BS carbs and they are different in the venturi and shafts are different lengths but the same seals.
Lotabob

Post by Lotabob »

Thanks Teazer,
I’d seen them on mikesxs but nobody could confirm that they were correct for the BS40’s