750b indicator earthing

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
badladjohn

750b indicator earthing

Post by badladjohn »

hi guys, can anyone tell me how the indicators are earth on the 750B? when i stripped mine the rears had ring terminals on the indicator mounting(10mm) running to the battery box mounting bolts under the seat(nasty home bodged jobs).i cant see any reason to run such a long earth,and i cant see any evidence of this on any pics ive looked at.as for the front indicators..can i chuff remember how they should be!..but then i am 2 years older since i stripped it!..any info would be appreciated
canaletto5

Re: 750b indicator earthing

Post by canaletto5 »

For the front, I have run leads with ring terminals over the threaded stems into the headlamp shell to pick up earths there. For the rear, I ran earths along the frame and used one of the regulator mount bolts as an earthing point. I guess it is possible to use the actual indicator mounting bracket bolts as earth points though.Kev
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

My 550B has a similar lash up. On rebuilt I made sure that the rear mounts were shiny inside and they're now fine, earthing to frame. Fronts, I dremmelled off the powder coating front and rear so that the stem made good contact with the fork brackets and the fork bracket made good contact with the headlamp earths. Those earths are wired and go to a common female bullet in the headlamp loom. Again, all well.
Cheers,
Mike
badladjohn

Post by badladjohn »

thanks for replies chaps!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

yeadon_m wrote:My 550B has a similar lash up. On rebuilt I made sure that the rear mounts were shiny inside and they're now fine, earthing to frame. Fronts, I dremmelled off the powder coating front and rear so that the stem made good contact with the fork brackets and the fork bracket made good contact with the headlamp earths. Those earths are wired and go to a common female bullet in the headlamp loom. Again, all well.
Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, the only problem with the 750B is that indicators are sat in rubber cushions (similar to the headlamp cushions) so don't contact directly with the headlamp brackets or the rear frame. It is even more of a problem with the new Suzuki indicators because they are plastic, not metal :-( The earth connection has to come from the threaded stem which is why ring terminal earth leads are needed.Kev
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Kev, ah OK. 380/550 front indicators are solid mounted, didn't think about floating mounts! Mike
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Ok heres what happens up front on the grounds for a B model, there is a ring terminal pigtail that goes on the threaded shaft after you put on the washer. That takes the ground into the main front harness. See the number below. According to the parts book its a short wire with a male bullet terminal on one end and a ringed terminal on the other

36660-33000 TURN SIG LEAD WIRE
Two strokes, its just that simple.
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

Waterbuffalo wrote:Ok heres what happens up front on the grounds for a B model, there is a ring terminal pigtail that goes on the threaded shaft after you put on the washer. That takes the ground into the main front harness. See the number below. According to the parts book its a short wire with a male bullet terminal on one end and a ringed terminal on the other

36660-33000 TURN SIG LEAD WIRE
http://www.discountbikespares.co.uk/our ... GS750.html
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

Holy thread resurrection!

The front indicators on the B are earthed through the lead which is attached to the headlamp spacer, as shown below, not a separate lead. Part number 51821-31030. On my bike for some unknown reason the two leads have been joined at the connector end with one lead soldered to the side of the others bullet. This makes connecting the leads to the loom a bit of a stretch, so a restoration opportunity!
front indicator earth.JPG
(Image courtesy of Robinson Foundry, and excellent source of info and parts!)

The rears are a separate lead with a ring terminal as described, but I have not yet adequately discovered where those rear earth leads terminate, nor what the lead with a ring on each end is for (if it was ftted to the B at all).
rear indicator earth.JPG
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Phil,

I think the separate lead earths the electrical plate and VReg to the frame, but I might be wrong!

Cheers,
Mike