Something to do

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
canaletto5

Something to do

Post by canaletto5 »

The 550 resto is on hold until I can source pipes and the GS750C I've been bitting and bobbing with will keep for a while so I am keeping idle hands busy.

I came by a set of 550L decals so I will be painting this tank (and a pair of side panels) Candy Red. First job sorted, getting rid of the lumps and bumps :lol:
IMG_1676.JPG
barney01

Re: Something to do

Post by barney01 »

I too have a spare tank which needs doing. I have never done any painting so will be watching in earnest. I presume all paint removed with paint stripper down to bare metal? What do you use to fill the dents ?
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi Barney

Yes, industrial strength paint stripper (The Nitromors stuff may as well be water). I use the stuff by Final Systems. Filler is Isopon P38 for most of the work, finished off with knifing putty to fill the little pinholes you always get with filler plus the tiny dings that P38 is to coarse for. Etch prime next to reveal all the imperfections you don't spot first time around. :lol: Kev
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Good tip for doing body filler is to thin it with fibreglass resin and extra hardener to create a thick soup consistency, especially good for final shaping if you use like a large hacksaw blade as a shaper, you can bend the blade and draw it back over the tank which keeps an even line. Take a bit of practice but works really well
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Kev, if your short of summat to do I've got a T500 tank that needs sorting :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Thanks for the advice lads. I bought a tank a few years ago that had been treated inside and is still rust free. But the outside is just hand painted.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

PaulD738 wrote:Kev, if your short of summat to do I've got a T500 tank that needs sorting :roll:
Stranger things have happened :lol:
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Quick question, i have a mate with sandblasting cabinet. Provided i seal the tank would this be better?
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Don't see why not, as long as there is no fuel residue that could ignite.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Gary66 wrote:Good tip for doing body filler is to thin it with fibreglass resin and extra hardener to create a thick soup consistency, especially good for final shaping if you use like a large hacksaw blade as a shaper, you can bend the blade and draw it back over the tank which keeps an even line. Take a bit of practice but works really well
A good tip Gary.