crank seals

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Suzukigt750a

crank seals

Post by Suzukigt750a »

Hi Guys,
I brought a kettle to restore which had the sweetest sounding engine. no rattles or noises. Lovely i thought.
I`ve spent thousands restoring it and the only thing i did to the engine other than cleaning it and a fresh paint job was the top end.
Bike now finished runs like a dream.The engine is as quiet as a mouse. Test ride time. If rode very gently all`s ok.
If you open the throttle to give it a bit of welly it pumps oil out the engine breath behind the oil pump.
Am i correct in assuming that the main oil seals are gone?????
Attachments
sandblasted & powder coated
sandblasted & powder coated
almost finished
almost finished
engine
engine
finished
finished
Roger Ackery

Re: crank seals

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Hi,lovely bike,the seals could be absolutely o.k....overfilled gearboxes can also be the problem,so if you've changed the gear oil recently, take out the level screw on the right hand crankcase cover & see how much dribbles out of the hole,let us know how you get on 8-)
Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Hi, nice looking bike !
As Roger said, it may well be just an overfill of the gearbox oil - it happened to me a few years ago, left her to drain overnight and collected approx 150 ml of excess oil - :oops: :oops:
If the seals go, you would normally will get a marked reduction in engine performance and a lot of excess smoke in your rear view mirrors - so fingers crossed its nothing too catastrophic.
Cheers Tim
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

+1 to possible over filled box. How is the down shifting when you're riding it? my 550B had an overfilled box (my fault) and the only symptom was notchy downshifts.
Good luck!
Mike
Suzukigt750a

Post by Suzukigt750a »

HI Guys,
Thanks for your replys.
I know when i first filled the engine i only filled until the oil started coming out the level hole.
I`ve just checked and it is over full.
Fingers crossed this is the problem.
I Know ive read or seen a video telling me it`s crank seals.
Will keep you informed.
Don`t know why pictures are upside sown but if you click on them they turn the right way.
Attachments
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
RickyPell50

Post by RickyPell50 »

Hi no they don't have to turn my screen upside down but may be ok for Roger............................Rick
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:tw Ha,Ha, all ok here "standing on my head"
pictures are now perfect :roll:
I've filled my gearbox before to the correct level (running out the hole) gone for a ride & still had more oil coming from hole when screw removed the next day :P
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.