I've suddenly got a horrible vibration!

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Re: I've suddenly got a horrible vibration!

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Something to consider, you may have lost a large piece of a piston skirt.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Gulp, I hope not! Something like that might make more sense than any of the other things I can think of though because it happened whilst out on a ride and instantly.
Is it conceivable that a chunk of piston skirt could fall off and not cause mayhem though? - I've ridden it quite a few times since and it runs fine at all rpms other than 1,750 to 2,000 (even at high revs, which is scaring me a bit now!).
I guess the safest thing to do is to officially put it in store now and take the exhausts and carbs off and see if I can see anything (mind you I guess I won't be able to if it's the skirt....
Simon
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

You can see most of the skirts with the pipes and carbs off if you rotate the crank and look into the ports. Its one of two things I can think of thats now unbalanced the engines mass and yes they do break and exit the engine quite easily.
Another thing to also check is the clutch basket, look for the steel band possibly failing and some of the basket fingers breaking off.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

OK thanks that is good to know (in a way!). Your comment about the clutch has got me thinking because I think I had the free play adjusted incorrectly for a while and maybe that has caused problems...
One for the winter I think...

Simon