front wheel locks

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
madforitkev

front wheel locks

Post by madforitkev »

Just rebuilt the complete front end and wheel. Torquing the axle in is fine and the wheel still rotates but when i tighten the axle clamp bolts on the right hand side the wheel locks up!

Probably being really stupid.......Just cant see what is going on.......anyone seen this?
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
Roger Ackery

Re: front wheel locks

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,I hope we are talking about the disk braked models...if spacers are in correct place,then the brakes are binding,this can happening if you've had the wheel out,or disturbed the brake Calipers,the mounting pins/bolts need to be greased lightly...make sure you keep grease away from the brake pad face for obvious reasons....also the "moveable" pad must move freely (in & out) within It's bracket ! There is a recommend grease for this job,also there are rubber O rings fitted to the mounting pins/bolts that most people don't replace ! I do,but very expensive for what they are from Suzuki,replacement O rings from Bearing shops don't seem to work all that well & can cause the caliphers not to "float" on the pins :?: Hope you get this sorted.
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

You remembered the spacer between the bearings didn't you - and are the two lugs on the speedo drive correctly aligned in the wheel hub slots. Take the calipers off the forks and at least you'll know if it's the wheel or brake(s) that are binding.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Yes spacer and speedo drive are good.

Brakes loose doesnt change it.

Tightening the axle is fine it is only when the clamp is done up which is making me think i have a bent axle?

Thanks
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

Or slightly bent fork tube? :cry:
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

I still think it's the brakes that are the culprit,not much else to stop the wheel from moving,I tend to agree if forks have been moved for any reason ? Slacking off triple tree fork bolts slightly & bounce suspension up & down to realign !
But check those caliphers for binding pads ! I take it the wheel turns easily when the brake caliphers aren't fitted to the forks ?
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

If you have rebuilt the calipers,
Is there a possibility you have not returned them to their correct carrier, they are handed left and right.
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Thanks guys

After a bit of digging it was the caliper. New pad a bit twisted in the carrier and not fully home. Just not easy to see until I compared them both.

Cheers.
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

madforitkev wrote:Thanks guys

After a bit of digging it was the caliper. New pad a bit twisted in the carrier and not fully home. Just not easy to see until I compared them both.

Cheers.
Just noticed your location. We were regular visitors to Poole as kids, my grandparents used to live down there so spent lots and lots of time at Rockly sands, Poole park etc
My grandad use to work for Hamworthy engineering for many years which i dont know if still exists?
My most vivid memory was looking over into Hearn bay and seeing all the "Higgins" boats all chained together in the early to mid 70s, lovely times we had and wish life was as simple now as it was then :)
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

8-) Hi,glad you found the problem !
If the pad can't move freely through the carrier you'll have either no brakes or they stick & drag as yours did,I check my brakes twice a year to make sure all is as it should be.
Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.