Introducing myself

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Lewis

Introducing myself

Post by Lewis »

Hi, my names Lew and I've been a member for about 3 years and thought it was about time I introduced myself to you all.
My first bike don't laugh,was a Puch Maxi I purchased for £50 in 1972 didn't have it long because 2 of my mates brought Garelli's which were fast but always breaking down so I decided to go the Yamaha route and purchased a FS1E which I kept for about a year and it never missed a beat , great little bike. I traded that in a brought a Suzuki T20 super six, sort of out of the frying pan into the fire, it was like a rocket ship compared to the Yam. Even though it was a 1966 model it had no trouble seeing off the newer Yamaha YDS7 and 250GT's. I kept it for about 2 years and then sold it to go towards the down payment on our first house
IMG_0007.JPG
This is the future Mrs and me on the bike
With interest rates of something like 15% we decided we couldn't afford 2 cars so kept the wife's mini and sold my 3.0 litre Capri GXL enter another T20 which I got cheap as the forks were bent and got my dad who could mend anything to straighten them, days went by as he played with them between 2 bits of wood in the vice, but he did a great job. After that I had a Suzuki GT185, a Kawasaki Kh250, and a Honda CX500 a much under rated bike if there was one imo, no wonder all the dispatch riders used them.
I had a break from bikes for about 10 year then when my eldest son was 16 he wanted a bike so he brought a Kawasaki AR50 which rekindled the fire so treated myself to a RG500
IMG_0129.JPG
Wish I still had it,but we all say that.
Don't know how long I kept it but eventually traded it for a Honda NC30, was slower but boy did it handle compared to the RG which could be scary in the wet.
Got rid of that after a while and got a free Yamaha 350YPVS from a mates brother but no wonder he gave it to me, god knows how many people had abused it but it was a lot, hated it but probably if I rode a nice one now it would be different.
Next was a Yamaha RD500 which I got from a dealer and to cut a long story short ran out of fuel one day and I put it on reserve only for nothing to happen, luckily I wasn't far from a petrol station so pushed it there and filled up. On returning home I found that the fuel pipes had been put on the wrong way round if I remember so no reserve, anyway changed them round and all was good , so I thought. This I where the big man upstairs steps in to really make your day ,when changing them over I must have dislodged a small piece of fuel pipe which on my next ride out found it's way into the carb leaning the mixture on that cylinder and then holling the piston, great.
IMG_1413.JPG
Another one I should have kept I would have been a rich man now
In the background you'll see a Kawasaki ZX6R which I brought when the RD500 selfdistructed,I did rebuild the RD but it took time. Then in 2001 I brought a Aprillia RSV and had that for 12 years great bike but in my later years I came to realise that it was faster than my reactions so in the end I got rid of it and said to myself no more bikes.
A year went by with no thoughts of bikes and this is where you realise what a strange thing the brain is, I must admit that I thought anybody who rode a classic bike was mad and there I was in the early hours of morning on the Kettle Clinic forum thinking I'll have to get me one of those.
This is where the next saga begins and I purchased a GT750L off Freddy, the bike to be fair wasn't bad under all the crude and apart from the Conrod being rusted solid to the crank which made removing the barrels a nightmare has turned out to be all original. The crank has been rebuilt and the cylinder rebored and it is nearing completion
IMG_0149.JPG
It's not going to be a show winner as is, but in time I will do the things like getting bits of chrome work done during the next few winters. Apart from the crank and rebore I've done it all myself zinc plating fasteners,painting the frame, rebuilding the clocks, brakes painted and rebuilt the only mistake I made was not etchpriming the switchgear as the paint comes of very easily but never mind it'll keep me busy.
IMG_1417.JPG
Now you will see why I didn't have money to do the chromework as I got distracted along the way and got an RE5 Rotary. All I can say is if you want to set yourself a challenge try understanding how the carb works on one of these, its a twin choke with 5 cables something like 23 jets and 4 diaphragms which were all perished, the jets blocked and instead of gaskets he used silicone, plus the timing was a mile out no wonder it only ran on choke. Have ridden it up the road and it will be a rolling restoration hopefully in the summer.
And finally just to show I have gone completely mad I went and brought a GT550 at the weekend off eBay, but nothing's cheap now and I think old bikes are better than money in the bank.
At this point I would like to thank all the people who spend their time and energy posting on this great forum so that people like me can restore a pile of junk into a thing of beauty again. Lew
Attachments
IMG_0007_pe.jpg
swarrans

Re: Introducing myself

Post by swarrans »

Great posting Lew, welcome.

Do you still have the wife?!

Simon
zapo

Post by zapo »

Good intro, and welcome.
I had two stroke's and survived.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Welcome also, Lew. I thoroughly enjoyed that. You have your hands full. The Kettle has to be ridden as it was designed, a grand tourer, its not a rocket ship. Though as you said, our reactions are not what they were (also, see lazer eye surgery thread :shock: ). I've scared myself a few times with the acceleration of my 750A getting up to 80 then finding a bend I thought was larger radius that it actually was :lol:
Enjoy,
Mike
(in Kent, GT380B, 550B, 750A, GSX1400)
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

swarrans wrote:Great posting Lew, welcome.

Do you still have the wife?!

Simon
Hi Simon, still have the wife after 39 years ( I think she's a keeper)
IMG_0123.JPG
Not many wives would not go mad at coming home and finding the first thing testing the new dishwasher was a set of 750 barrels :)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Welcome in Lew, best intro so far I reckon!
Where are you based near? I'm in South Yorkshire and if you need help/advice with the 550, I have 'a few' in the garage and loads of bits.
Look up 'slow starting', 'Earwig' and 'Yeti' for my restos.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Alan H wrote:Welcome in Lew, best intro so far I reckon!
Where are you based near? I'm in South Yorkshire and if you need help/advice with the 550, I have 'a few' in the garage and loads of bits.
Look up 'slow starting', 'Earwig' and 'Yeti' for my restos.
Hi Alan, I live in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire and I will be picking your brains about the 550 as there is not the same amount of information about as there is for the 750, manuals are not really up to date and a bit of muddle and what with the US models not changing anything engine wise from the L onwards and the euro bikes going to nikasil and jet changes every year as far as I can make out, I can see it get confusing to say the least. I will post some pictures of my 550 as from my research into frame and engine numbers it should be a B model, but it doesn't look like one.
Thanks for the kind comments. Lew
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh I don't know that much about them. :roll:
Current 'crop'. And my first one was an original J back in '72.
Attachments
20170117_143000.jpg
20170117_142941.jpg
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

I liked your comment on the RE5 carb. I also have an re5m and its a wonder with the 5 cables and huge carburettor. They make all the other gt's seem simple to rebuild by comparison. Interesting bike tho...
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Yes great intro welcome to the forum Lew.