A gt750L carb question

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
nairb123

A gt750L carb question

Post by nairb123 »

For ages my gt750L had a set of latter standard pipes on, from a gt750A I think, I did run ok. I finally found what looks like a good set of standard "L" pipes and fitted them. After a few hundred miles the bike does seem to be down on power a bit but still starts and runs ok.

Now I assumed I had a set of "L" carbs on the bike to start with but is there any way to check. Do the latter carbs "Look" the same as the "L" ones. In fact is there much difference between the "L" carbs and the later ones.

Ta
Nairb
BAZ

Re: A gt750L carb question

Post by BAZ »

The carbs on the L model have 120# Butterflies and the slow screw is just 1/4 turn out rather than 3/4 turns with the later carbs with 110# Butterflies, the end result should be the same. so have a look they also have one spring on the dalance ajuster with a small nut instead of the spring. cheers BAZ
slosher

Post by slosher »

Baz what do mean when you say "the slow screw" :? are you referring to the"air mixture screw"if so i have mine screwed out 3/4 of a turn on a pretty much standard "L"with the link pipes.

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Yes you could call it a mixture screw but should be just 1/4 turn out with 120# Butterflies..
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hmmmm :? interesting that info because all data i have suggests 3/4 turn out

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Have a look at 1974 data..
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

Ok, I have a pic of the carbs...
IMG_2279.JPG
Just to be sure is that the air mixture screw. Mine seem to be a turn and a half out. If they should be just 1/4 turn out with 120# Butterflies then its time to yank the carbs off for a good check.

Another interesting point is that I have been using B8ES plugs for ages. From http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... /index.php it would seem that I should use B6ES. The Haynes manual seems to say B7ES.
Anybody else with an gt750L using B6ES? I might try the B7ES ones.
BAZ wrote: so have a look they also have one spring on the dalance ajuster with a small nut instead of the spring. cheers BAZ
I think you meant the Balance adjuster. Is that the Throttle stop screw??. It does have a spring.

The engine does seem to start and idle fine. Pulls away ok. But seems a bit flat. I did put some new delkevic baffles in the outer exhausts. These exhausts do have all the baffle plates and there are no rattles. Maybe the old girl is getting a bit clapped.
More investigation is required.
Ta
Nairb
slosher

Post by slosher »

nairb123 wrote:Just to be sure is that the air mixture screw.
Yes thats the one :) Found that 1974 data and yes is suggesting 1/4 turn only no wonder mine smokes like a good un :roll: Yet plug condition is ok.
itsnotateapot wrote:Look at the tune up page
So i tek it your running your "L" Richard at 1/4 turn out :?:

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

It will not make it smoke maybe surging..