A gt750L carb question

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
slosher

Re: A gt750L carb question

Post by slosher »

BAZ wrote:It will not make it smoke maybe surging..
;)Ok Baz with ya no 2stroke oil at this stage yet,so looking else where cause of smokey left exhaust :roll:

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

slosher wrote:
nairb123 wrote:Just to be sure is that the air mixture screw.
Yes thats the one :) Found that 1974 data and yes is suggesting 1/4 turn only no wonder mine smokes like a good un :roll: Yet plug condition is ok.
itsnotateapot wrote:Look at the tune up page
So i tek it your running your "L" Richard at 1/4 turn out :?:

Cheers Dave
To be honest Dave I don't know what the screw is set at, the carbs went on 5 years ago and it runs as sweet as very sweet thing :!: so I have not touched them. Perhaps its something to do with the 18500 miles I have done on it in the last 5 years. and there is no surging at all. It is an L model after all, and we all know the L is the best model by far. ;)
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
slosher

Post by slosher »

Yep can't beat the unique "L" :) if you get chance Rich check what yours are set at mate ;)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
teazer

Post by teazer »

Blue smoke is from burning oil and that suggests maybe a leaky left crank oil seal.

More likely though, and somewhat less obvious is that the SRIS system connects the center crankcase to the left cylinder. So excess oil in the center crankcase would be pumped to the left side.

When it gets to be so bad that you absolutely have to do something about it. Let the bike stand for a week or two and pull the SRIS valves out of the cases and measure the oil that drains out of each. I suspect that one of the banjo check valves is leaking a little.

Then remove the oil feed spider/octopus and check the check valves for weeping. They are like old men in that as they get old they leak a bit.....
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

slosher wrote:Yep can't beat the unique "L" :) if you get chance Rich check what yours are set at mate ;)

Cheers Dave
3/4
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
zapo

Post by zapo »

so Richard, what will you say on the day it start surging.....bloody L :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :tw
I had two stroke's and survived.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

slosher wrote:Yep can't beat the unique "L" :)
Cheers Dave
Unless it's a J of course :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Tz,
All good on the technical side. But on the old people? its ladies that tend to leak, and gents that cannot go :roll:
Mike
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

yeadon_m wrote:Tz,
All good on the technical side. But on the old people? its ladies that tend to leak, and gents that cannot go :roll:
Mike
Ahem! speak for yerself Mike :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
teazer

Post by teazer »

slosher wrote:Baz what do mean when you say "the slow screw" :? are you referring to the"air mixture screw"if so i have mine screwed out 3/4 of a turn on a pretty much standard "L"with the link pipes.

Cheers Dave

Dave,

On a slide type carb (non CV) the air screw is on the filter side of the carb and it does indeed modulate the air supply and hence the mixture. On a CV carb like those fitted to GT750s, the screw is on the engine side and basically modulates the air/fuel mix, so out is rich on that side, where out is lean on other carbs.