The black/silver number plate question

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
nairb123

The black/silver number plate question

Post by nairb123 »

I was in the local mot station having one of the bikes put thru the annual pain. I asked the tester what years the black/silver number plates are now allowed. He went to his computer terminal and pulled up the relevant section in the mot testers info. It showed that 1976 and earlier are allowed to use the black/silver plates.

Now, I no longer care a jot since I have kept the yellow plates for the 75/76 bikes but I do have black/silver for those bikes earlier than 75.

The mot tester did not give a hoot either. The bike being tested is on a "J" plate. But for those who like the older style plates on their 76/75 bikes it seems the advice given to the mot testers is that 76 and younger are now included.
barney01

Re: The black/silver number plate question

Post by barney01 »

The bike must also be registered as a 'historic vehicle'
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
BATTS

Re: The black/silver number plate question

Post by BATTS »

According to DVLA its vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1975 (and registered as historic), effectively 1974 vehicles, that can display black and white plates. As always the difficulty is proving date of manufacture against date of registration to the satisfaction of DVLA. This date does not "roll" like the tax exemption. In practice if the MOT tester doesn't spot it then it probably doesn't matter unless a particularly pedantic traffic officer pulls you over.
https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/11/ ... er-plates/
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl