Gt550 engine number

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Raytuckgt

Re: Gt550 engine number

Post by Raytuckgt »

Thanks Chris I didn't know this due to me being a novice, looks like I'm having to think deep here, rgds.
Ray.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Just double check with 2WS, they often break US bikes
Raytuckgt

Post by Raytuckgt »

I've been asked by the chap that's going to rebuild my engine if the lowers are different to, by the way heat was applied to the stamp and it looks like it's part of the engine, rgds ..
Ray.
Raytuckgt

Post by Raytuckgt »

Another question is if there is any difference in base gaskets...
Ray.
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

Being a US bike does it not still have its headstock sticker? That would have the engine number on. If the engine is otherwise OK I might be tempted to pick an engine number from the M sequence and add a prefix letter then stamp the cases accordingly. My brother did this on a classic car engine that couldn't be identified by number DVLA didn't query.
Yes the base gaskets are different but you normally get both types in a set.
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
Raytuckgt

Post by Raytuckgt »

There is a number on headstock label but it's the frame number 49216 no others number there only other information rgds ..
Ray.
Raytuckgt

Post by Raytuckgt »

Update on the engine number plate is that we think it's original but was blank and someone just stamped gt550 , a poor job , so the other question is .. Is is a 75 engine or .........
Ray.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'll risk offering you a couple of quid(ish) for the complete engine (with proof of running),complete with carbs, delivered.
Can't be fairer than that, Shirley. :roll:
Of course, more details may increase the offer.

May increase the offer.

Or not. :|

I take it that is really is a 3 cylinder GT550 engine? pics of the complete engine/bike might help.
A pic of the alleged engine number tells us very little - really. :?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

You old sceptic Alan :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

Raytuckgt wrote:Update on the engine number plate is that we think it's original but was blank and someone just stamped gt550 , a poor job , so the other question is .. Is is a 75 engine or .........
When they were available new, Suzuki supplied replacement crankcases with no numbers so that dealers could stamp in the original engine number, perhaps at some point it had replacement cases.
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl