Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Postby madforitkev » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:12 pm

I wanted a hydraulic clutch.

First mod was to cut in a 14x4x6 seal into the Hub end of the input shaft. The adjuster in the pressure plate then moves backwards and forwards through that to give the adjustment I need. Pics are above in the thread.

Next the opposite side of the input shaft had to have a seal as well for the pushrod. The old GS750 used a good seal with an 8mm bore so that meant I needed an 8mm pushrod. Easy enough, and a nice stainless pushrod and seal.

IMG_2664.JPG

The pushrod then passes behind the primary drive outer and inner casing with minor mods....like it was made for one!?

IMG_2663.JPG

The pushrod then goes through my new dynastarter mounting plate where a shaved KTM clutch slave mounts...

IMG_2662.JPG

Just gotta tweak the outer dynastarter cover now....more later.

teazer

Re: Project X

Postby teazer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Kev,

Love the solutions you are coming up with. That hydraulic clutch arrangement is one that I couldn't find a neat solution to, so I'll have to copy that. Heads are a PIA to convert for sure. I have one here with inserts and all three are different - and they don't seal all that well either, so I may borrow that idea as well.

Not so sure about that big assed lump hanging off the end of the crank though. At one point I obtained a Polaris triple generator/magneto arrangement with CDI. What I liked about that is that it's closer to the crankcase, so less crank whip, but even at that I realized that Polaris use a double row bearing to help stop crank ends from snapping off. I did get my hands on GSXR alternator which is also inside out, so to speak. It's lighter and thinner than a stock GT alternator which is way too wide. It's a permanent magnet type with those super strong rare earth magnets and if I can measure the crank taper of both, I should be able to get an adapter machined up.

Your outrigger bearing is a good idea, but watch it when the revs start to rise. It may need a beefier or double row crank bearing.

Return to “SPECIALS - MODIFICATIONS + FIGHTERS TRACK DAYS”