Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

While I am waiting for the CDI I thought I would attack the wiring.

The bike has one main computer and two sub-computers (Speed and Revs). I've seperated them out to keep the refresh rates fast for the speedo and rev counter also it means I can do other 'stuff' with the spare computers.

At the moment the system has;

GPS
Rev counter
Speedo
Blutooth (mobile phone connection)
Accelorometer
7 seg ment gear indicator (bit like the origional)
Fuel gauge (bar graph)
Temp gauge (bar graph)
OLED display (for more 'stuff)
Oil sensor
Stand sensor
Clutch sensor
Brakes sensor (and programmable rear brake light)
Fuel solenoid
Fan controller and temp sensors
Water pump control
Dual head light control
Contactless ignition

Wiring is;
Wiring.JPG
FInal circuit boards should be in next. Just gotta design the housing now......Oh and write some software......
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Well 99% of that went right over my head :oops:
it looks to be an awesome project but for me the words Kettle & computer seem at odds with one another :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

I hear you Paul.....

I started and I just don't seem to be able to stop now. I had this dream in the first post of making the ultimate Kettle. Not sure I ever will and thats probably an arogant view but it has defin itely been a journey and it isnt over yet. I'm not some young gun fiddling with this (sadly) so it appears to be on my busket list now!

My new CDI has just turned up so more on that next week. It might actually start!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Great work on the wiring Kev.

It's been a struggle (for me) but I've finally sussed the MotoGadget unit and got everything programmed and working.

It's alien to me to have earthed inputs.................. :D
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

It Runs!!

Turned out to be a combination of old plugs and 5k resistive caps not liking the CDI.

Fired up first time. Ticked over off enrichners and not bad throttle response......... :D

Chain on now so maybe a run up the lane tomorrow.

After all the mods no one is more suprised than me!!

Pipes sound good and it makes lots of blue smoke so that cant be bad.

Lovley rattle from the dry clutch.

Chain on now so a quick run up the (private) drive so see if I have a gear box!!
outside.jpg
Also managed to tune in the electric waterpump and temp control with the 2 fan system. Sounds like a jet!!
Last edited by madforitkev on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Unusual a cdi unit not liking resistor plug caps.
I always use non resistor type on my standard (points) bikes to get a bigger spark, but I understood that cdi needed either resistor plugs or caps, but not both.
Is there a spec for any resistance on the output of that cdi unit, or maybe just poor plugs?
A bigger plug gap can cause issues too. 25 thou with standard plugs but 40 thou with iridium for instance. I have iridiums in tbe Santa Fé, but as it's on lpg which has a higher dielectric strength than petrol, I've dropped the gap to 28thou or it runs rough. (As recommended by the people who installed my last 2 lpg systems.)
Just interested about your system - we can learn summat every day......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Well done Kev - you must be well chuffed !

Time for a video now, methinks............
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

To answer Alans questions....

From pervious posts you will know I finally got the CDI from the nice man in Belgium (HPI). He was adamant 'dont uses resistor plug caps@. Woundn't say why but DONT!

I've got some iridiumks but havent tried them yet. Standard plugs seem for for now. WIll wait till I start tuning.

Got the cain on and riode it up the lane. Inevitable 2 new problems today.......

My brand new Davies Craig pump has started wining loudly but only when the engine is running???! WIth the motor off it sits there Ok. power up and at different time points (5 secs to 30 secs) it starts wining. Its obviously electric so what engine on/off would make a difference I have no idea? Might be a voltage problem as I've not got the charging going yet and the battery is about 11v. Tomorrows test.

The CDI has a handy 2 phase lighting circuit, so I can charge the battery with that or the dynstarter.

Second problem. After lots of careful dry tests, now its running, I cant get first gear!!!! WTF! I am guessing a selector drum issue? Anyone got any experience of that?

All good fun.

Anyone know whats the maximum size attachement I can put on the site? I've got a bit of video (of course).

And yes I was running around screaming like a girl!!! So excited!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Sorted the water pump. Air trapped. I know the feeling!!

Talking to the man they dont 'self prime' so you will need an air vent somewhere if you have a high point above the pump (like I do) to get all the air out. Thank god for Ebay!!

First gear next......Gear switch off and play with the selector drum. Baz suggested droping the neutral pin/spring out to see if that helps...cheers Baz.

Cant stop starting it now. Sounds great. neighbours are getting a bit grumpy! :twisted:
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Ah.... water pump not sorted.....

Pump off bike in a bucket. Great
Pump on bike. Engine off. Great
Pump on bike. Engine started. Whines like a banshee

I have no mechanical pump just the electric one.

Only variable is vibration??

I added another high level air bleed which seems to work but it still whines wiuth teh engine running.

Sorted the first gear. I took thge neutral spring/pin out and it is fine now. Will look at the selctor again when i strip the gear box.

Managed to do all the hot wiring (pre computer), not pretty but it will do so at least I can MOT it now.
wiring.jpg