Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

Went backwards a bit lately.

I miscalculated the torque requirement on the Dynastarter a bit so it means I have to rewind some field coils so I decided to graft the kick starter back in.

Sounds easy but the dry clutch gets in the way a bit.

Anyway all done now. Should get the casing back after Xmas with the changes but obviously that meant a complete engine strip down again (for the 5th time!).

Lots of other progress around swinging arm changes, squeezing the 36mm carbs in, making a seat and sorting out the front end look.

Pic below is the seat sequence. First I had to hack the benelli seat to mate with the VFR tank. Should get in covered in jan.
IMG_0094.JPG
I created a mold using plaster then a carbon seat base.
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
It took b****y hours but hopefully it will look the part.

Next I wanted to hide what you can see if you look up under the head yokes while kinda making it look like the old kettle rad bars.

So I templated in copper and bent up some stainless..
IMG_1215.JPG
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

And then made this little lovely.....
IMG_1341.JPG
and it place it looks like this...
IMG_1345.JPG
Now I just need a nice water jetted plate with some fancy cutouts...more later!

Next was the carbs. 36mm's and I want to create a bank of carbs that are locked together. First problem is the oil pump. A linkage isnt easy so I want back to the old JK throttle cable with oil pump cable included. I've done a design for a joining plate for the carbs to lock them all together and it should be back in january. The three independant chokes also have to be linked so I'm using a Suzuki GSF600 handle bar unit with a manual choke cable....pics to follow when I get the plates back but its a tight fit under the tank now with the water hoses, pump and carbs...
IMG_1346.JPG
I've decided on a naked look now. front end is a modified Triumph triple setup with the headlight/fairing bracket doubling as the front brake hydraulics junction.
IMG_1347.jpg
I'm hoping Father Xmas is bring brake/clutch hoses and I plied the machinist with Alcohol so should get a shed of bits back in Jan for the final build!! :D
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Shame about not using the plumbing work, it looks quite good!
Otherwise all 1st class.
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif (178 Bytes) Viewed 363 times
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Finally got back to the clutch!

So as I need to tweak the dynastarter a bit I decided to add the kick starter back in. Obviously there is no room with a dry clutch!! So after much head scratching I came up with a 2 part casing assembly.
IMG_1456.jpg
This means I can squeeze the main cover round the kick starter assembly and over the clutch drive then fit the boss to take the kickstarter seal.
IMG_1457.jpg
Looks like a bought one!
IMG_1458.jpg
Slap on a bit of cover paint to tidy it up and I can get back to the carbs. I've decided to graft them all together like the CV carbs on the 750a etc. so I can mount combined clutch mechanisms. Should get that done next week.... :D
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Just stunning mate 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

And there she is!!!

Dry clutch AND kick starter! Bloody hell that was a tight squeeze.......New kickstarter seal boss not fitted cos I need to tap some puller holes in it.
IMG_1461.jpg
Adjuster is missing in this pic but the hydraulic through gearbox clutch slave seems to work pretty good as well.

Carbs next week, then I cant for the life of me see why I cant' try to start her up!! I've done so many mods to the motor hopefully there won't be an unfriendly grinding sounds.....
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I actually 'deleted' the kicker on my 550A and had a nice ally boss turned that slips over the end of the splines and is locked in place with a small grub screw. I'll post a pic of the boss next time I get in the garage as it's currently in the spares box as I rebuild the motor!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
twostrokeheaven

Post by twostrokeheaven »

amazing work
GT750J Lavender Pink 1972 :D
Fs1E baja brown speedblock 1976 :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

More bits!!!

I had a bit of a gap I wanted to cover above the cylinder heads while still allowing cable access/air venting etc.

So I came up with this little plate too fit in my nive tube frame.
IMG_1490.JPG
YEMA5846.JPG
GT750FS

S is for Special
F is for Frankenstein cos there are som many bikes in this now!!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

And back to the carbs!!

I've got 36mm flat sided mikuni's and I wanted to gang them all together like the CV carbs on the l,M,A,B.

So I came up with this.....
IMG_1495.JPG
I've also designed choke linkages to fit on the top rail. Should get them back next week.

It all just about squeezes in. The red block is the fuel solenoid (wish I could work out how to stop my pics rotating when I upload them....sorry, I can design a bloody bike but cant work a PC....).
IMG_1502.JPG
Managed to get some time on the rear hugger as well.

Its a hacked Benelli Tornado hugger. I wanted something very bare so that when I polish the swinging arm it stands out.
IMG_1504.JPG