T575 Steam Triple

Post here if you are doing anything different
garry55

Re: T575 Steam Triple

Post by garry55 »

the fuel system - standard Triumph T595 (injection) system..........

and my simplified carb system.............

Fuel tap is mounted horizontally so either Fuel On or Reserve position feed fuel to the Mikuni 3-port vacuum fuel pump.

Fuel On position drains tank to tap level, Reserve position scavenges whats left via a dip tube.

But by then I should have a working Lo Fuel warning................
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

What about just using 3 x Wal Phillips fuel injectors with a pumped and pressurised (+ return feed to keep the fuel cool) Amal GP carb floatbowl each using the original trumpet fuel pump?
It might not be as simple, but I've noticed that you don't tend to do 'simple'..... :lol:

Anyway, will there be enough 'pulse' on the diaphragm input to allow fuel to pass through the tap in 'on' or 'res'? :?

Otherwise, I think it's brill!! 8-)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Had a lengthy chat with a most helpful guy at Allens Performance (who supplied the fuel pump) and he confirmed that they work very well with a 2T motor.
They are used successfully in kart racing, with the tandem-twin Rotax based motors.
Always fancied building a big-bore, fuel injected motor. To the point that I already have a MicroSquirt injection control module and a spare set of T595 injector bodies..........
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
teazer

Post by teazer »

Those pumps were used on 180HP triple two stroke snowmobiles, so should handle all the flow you need for carbs. You will most likely need to change the float vales to 1.5mm to stop them from weeping though. That's how sled carbs are set up.

For EFI you need much higher pressure - may even need to go back to the triumph in tank pump that you just removed. They are probably somwehere around 2 bar (30psi). The big issue with a large high performance (er hem) two stroke is that it's hard to get low enough flow at low speed (narrow/short pulse) and high enough flow at the big end. with the low end right, you might have to run 100% cycle at the top end, or add secondary injectors.

Try shower injectors and that allows you to completely revise he intake angle so it's closer to vertical. Or just fit two injectors per cylinder. One that works well from zero to mid and then add a second one to add additional fuel flow at the top end.

If HP is kept low - say 100 or less, you might be OK with single injectors, but you can do the math and work it out. err on the high side for BSFC to leave a margin for safety.

I did read somewhere that it's possible to recalibrate a PGM ECU from a Triumph triple and if that's possible, then you can hook it up to a laptop and set timing and fuel as long as you have a wideband O2 sensor to read the A:F
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Thanks for the info Teazer - much appreciated.
The big bore, fuel injected motor has the Triumph fuel pump / filter / pressure regulator put to one side, just in case........... :D
The problem with fitting the Triumph injection unit is the irregular spacing of the GT750's barrel intakes - the fuel rail and butterfly operating rods need to be cut and lengthened, amongst other niggles.
I already have the intake flanges to mate the Triumph injectors to the GT750 barrel.
In my spare time, I am working on fitting power valves to the exhaust side, just for the fun of it. :D
Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

bottom end built - Chris Applebee crank, refurbished water pump (thanks Baz), all new seals and bearings and freshly powder coated satin black cases.

Garry.

madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Garry

Bit confused, are you running fuel injection or standard carbs? I thought carbs?

Or are you just pressurising the fuel to the carbs?

I've obviously stuck with carbs (flat sided TM36's) with a fuel solenoid driven from the computer and a fuel level monitor (custom, using the VFR sender).

Mine starts so easily at the moment (havent started tweaking the tuning yet).
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Running carbs (OKO flat slides) but the fuel outlet on the T595 fuel tank is lower than the inlets on the carbs.
Also the vacuum pump allows me to make a dip pipe from the fuel tap "Reserve" filter to the bottom of the tank to scavenge the fuel below the taps outlets.
Garry.

madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Garry

Did Chris baalance your crank as well?

When I strip mine again for the final paint job I want to get my crank overhauled.
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I had the crank on my gt750b balanced when I had the crank done a couple of years ago, but Chris said it was little benefit, and I'm not sure it was worth the money as it vibrates over about 5500rpm. I'll see what the 2 x 550 cranks he did for me feel when I get the 2 x 550s going 'soon'. :?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated