XR11/73

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: XR11/73

Post by madforitkev »

Gary
I must be a bit thick, I can see how you keep the primaries wet with another plate and seal between the clutch primary and the basket but how are you transfering the drive from the clutch primary to the basket if they are now not bolted together?

I must have missed something in an earlier post.

:? Kev
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

no - you haven't missed anything Kev - the clutch basket will be bolted to the primary drive drum once I have optimised the spacing between the basket and the clutch hub. I may have to shim the clutch basket away from the primary drive drum to get that spacing as there is very little room to extend the input shaft splines.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Other than that, all straightforward and hunky dory - just like the rest of the build......... :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
garry55

Post by garry55 »

piece of p*ss, Al.

I never knew wire erosion existed.............. ;)
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Gary

So the primary obviously has to stay in the 'oiled' area.

The basket is in the 'dry' bit.

So you will have a plate with a seal between the two? That plate will go right across the casing and form a seal?

To get the drive through the seal will you add a keyed sleeve to the primary that then mates with a feature in the basket? So the primary and the basket aren't bolted as such but are keyed together via a sealed shaft extension-thingy.....or...... just looked at the old post and is it

http://i63.tinypic.com/2n9derr.jpg

the ali spacer that will have an outer seal, then bolt to the primary and the drum?

So the plate that separates the dry and wet bits will be a tricky design?

Still think I'm thick..... :?:

Kev
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

seal fits around the new primary gear hub, held in a drum that mates with the outer casing. Clutch basket is pegged and bolted to the primary gear hub, after a spacer has been made to shim the basket further away from the hub and closer to the clutch centre drum. I have acquired the measurement twixt basket and hub now, so the spacer is "work in progress".
Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

clutch basket housing taking a turn for the better.............

about £25 of aluminium swarf produced in the making of this......... :'(
Garry.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

And a lot more expense in the actual twizzling I suspect. It will be a thing of beauty when finished no doubt.
Will you be fitting an external 'anti burst' ring around the finger 'tips' when it's done?
garry55

Post by garry55 »

it's not the clutch basket, Al - its what the basket actually rotates in. The clutch basket has the strengthening ring cast into it. Times have moved on............ ;)
Garry.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Ahhhhhh, the mist thickens.......... :lol: