XR11/73

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: XR11/73

Post by madforitkev »

Gary

Looking back at earlier post pics, your clutch basket doesn't look like a GT750 one. Is it a GS one? It looks like a smaller diameter than the GT one which would explain how you have made room to put it inside the new oil sealed 'tunnel' you are machining now.

Have you worked that how to seal the new machined part to the new side cover plate?

Cheers

Kev
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

the clutch is from a race bike, and can comfortably handle 90+ bhp (or so I am led to believe......). Still awaiting delivery of the kit clutch plates and springs from Japan.Only been 12 weeks since I ordered (and paid) for them.

No - I haven't worked out how to join the clutch housing to the side casing yet as:-

a) I haven't collected the housing from the engineering shop yet and

b) I will need a clear head, and the run-up to Xmas is not the time that I will have one :D

apart from the post below, all work on my bikes has now ceased until the New Year.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
garry55

Post by garry55 »

a bit more work completed for the re-located gearbox oil filler.

the new, water-jet cut 12mm side casing, with hole cut for the male filling piece........

with the filling piece (loosely) fitted..........

the casing bolted in place.........

and how it will look once the filler neck and male piece have been cut and welded.......

Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Gary

Would you share what the clutch it is from? I am struggling to find one of a small enough diameter for around 100BHP?

Cheers :mrgreen:

Kev
teazer

Post by teazer »

Gary,

I am a lazy bugger and will do anything to avoid actual work, so it looks to me like you could have used the old tacho drive hole as the filler cap. I am assuming that you won't use it to drive a mechanical tacho. I think it just needs to be tapped for a filler cap.

Looking good though.
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Richard
If I had used the tacho drive as the oil filler, there would have been oil behind the l/h engine casing. I devised this method so that there is no oil there - that is why I blocked off the oil galleries. There is nothing behind the l/h casing that needs lubing anyway.
Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

finally, after much machining, and re-machining, the clutch drive unit is finished. Many thanks to Andy and Dave for the co-design of the ingenious integral cush-drive system. Hope to test it soon ! :D

Garry.

madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Gary

Looks like its coming along. I have just had the same pain with my dry clutch conversion (updates later). Managed to graft an RS250 one in...long story.

Looking back at your earlier posts I am starting the water cooling system now.

Would you mind sharing the make of your controller? Looks like a neat package.

Cheers

Kev