Finish for Frame and bits ?

Looking for your old Kettle post registration info here good luck!
Scotch750

Finish for Frame and bits ?

Post by Scotch750 »

Hi Folks, new to this so hope it comes accross ok ? Would like advice on whether to powdercoat or spray (2pack) my frame and bits.
Also, where would anyone recommend ? I live in the Walsall area (West Mids).
Cheers Scotch.
astrax

Re: Finish for Frame and bits ?

Post by astrax »

Hi Scotch
I have had both 2 pack and powder coated frames in the past.
IMHO powder coating is usually more resistant to chemicals and gets in all the nooks and crannies better, like the head stock area, if done well can still have a really good shine.

Wherever you decide to get it done, it is worth looking around the place and get a couple of small bits done first to check quality, not sure if any of the guys could recommend someone in your area.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

For the best finish go 2 pack, this also has the advantage that you exhaust bushes don’t get destroyed in the baking involved with powder coating. MJ WELDING in Shrewsbury did mine and also do great alloy welding. Cheers BAZ
astrax

Post by astrax »

BAZ wrote:For the best finish go 2 pack, this also has the advantage that you exhaust bushes don’t get destroyed in the baking involved with powder coating. MJ WELDING in Shrewsbury did mine and also do great alloy welding. Cheers BAZ
Baz has mentioned a good point about the powder coating, anything non metal usually gets destroyed as they bake it at around 180°C to 200°C .
When I had my frame powder coated earlier this year I did take my exhaust rubbers out as they were a bit tatty anyway and got a another pair for about £15
But you can still get a good finish with powder coating, "here's one I prepared earlier"
clocks1.jpg
I had my frame done in 2 pack for about 18 years and except for a couple of minor marks still looked really good, I only got it re-done as I did quite a lot of welding on the frame.
I would see what you can get done locally and make the decision, also ask to see any samples they have.

From what I can tell MJ welding is only about 37 miles from you, if Baz has recommended them it's definitely worth a drive over there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

From what I can tell MJ welding is only about 37 miles from you, if Baz has recommended them it's definitely worth a drive over there.[/quote]
Thanks Astrax, I've had my frame powdercoated for 22 years and have been pleased with it. It's now looking "tired" so i thought of a facelift for it.
Will try Barry's suggestion as if you've seen his restorations you'll know he turns out immaculate examples.
Scotch.
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

Thanks Baz, Will give them a go.
Scotch.
snowyrock

Post by snowyrock »

I KNOW THIS PLACE IS IN THANET , but i cannot recommend enougth , its windridge coatings , dane valley , broadstairs . Their tri system is as good as 2 pack with the durable finish of powder coat , and you get extra gloss black unless you ask for a duller gloss finish .
Have a search and look on their website . Last year a friend had 2 triumph tsx frames done there , i was so impressed and had a triumph t120 frame done .
They do a lot of bike stuff and are well organised !! the owner puts himself out as well and has a stall several classic bike functions .

Best of luck snowy
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

snowyrock wrote:I KNOW THIS PLACE IS IN THANET , but i cannot recommend enougth , its windridge coatings , dane valley , broadstairs . Their tri system is as good as 2 pack with the durable finish of powder coat , and you get extra gloss black unless you ask for a duller gloss finish .
Have a search and look on their website . Last year a friend had 2 triumph tsx frames done there , i was so impressed and had a triumph t120 frame done .
They do a lot of bike stuff and are well organised !! the owner puts himself out as well and has a stall several classic bike functions .

Best of luck snowy
Thanks Snowy, for the info. But i want to try and keep it "local"
Cheers Scotch.
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

Snowy, bit of a thread resurrection here I know, but I am about to take my frame to Windridge and was pleased to see your recommendation. Extra gloss sounds fine with me!!! I'll post pics on my restoration thread when it's done.

http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... 5&start=70