GOT IT!

Looking for your old Kettle post registration info here good luck!
BAZ

Re: GOT IT!

Post by BAZ »

Yes the Dudley epicentre I remember it scary. So what’s great bar famous for!
mark.read3

Post by mark.read3 »

Its famous for people who can spell (great barr u numpty) Fianancial generosity(deny that one). But most of all , a horrendous street system,speedbumps,road works,potholes,speed cameras,drive by shootings,muggings,pakis in datsuns,police sirens,and being on the intersection of m6 and m5..... lots of pollution.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Just a bit of an update on restoration of my own bike. I managed to get nos mountings for the indicators see pictures. Also the brake lines were ok doing had the re zinced. And the B model black bits are finished in black chrome. Also had the radiator re cored wont say how much here the wife may see the post !!! The bike will be finished by the weekend. And will be well used!!! Cheers BAZ. Ps should I put Richards decals on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Looking very good Baz, i think you should put Richards Decals on it, cheers Mick.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Baz, very tasteful there with the black chrome. The naff OE finish was never up to much. IMO yours is far better!
Cheers,
Mike
ps: out the stickers on!
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

It would have been difficult to replicate the original satin finish so decided to try something different. It does look great in the flesh. Just looking forward to riding it. Pity about the weather!
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Hi Baz, I've got one of those late batch bikes as well, I always thought it was French but Italian would make sense. It's as per UK B model, but with small indicators which are much neater, a dogbone rear light and the long valanced rear mudguard with a black on silver tyre warning decal which is like a negative of the previous type. I bought it from the original owner in 1989 with just 3,000 genuine miles but he'd ruined it; used it for about eighteen months and then just dumped it in his back garden for nine years, where his dog fed up on the centre stand every morning until it corroded through and the bike fell over. I reckon he ran it out of fuel as I never had to touch the carbs or tank, just gave it fresh fuel and a battery and it ran like clockwork.....result! It took a while to restore, but it's a keeper.

The price I paid seemed cheap at the time but insane now.......£80, but they were just ten year old clunkers then and this looked horrendous despite the original tyres and perfect seat....the only part that truly escaped neglect.

The bloke who bought mine new had the same experience as you, he went to Aeros Suzuki in Croydon who told him there were no Kettles left and he'd left it too late; he persevered, tried Heron Suzuki GB and they found him this one in The Motorbike Centre, Hanwell, West London.....long since closed down.

My brother had an identical European (UK sold) spec bike as well, so I guess they must have diverted one of the last batches of kettles from Europe to the UK?

Mick..............kettle738
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Great to know there's another one however mine did not have that type of rear guard. Could you post some close up pictures of the indicator mounts I am not sure if mine are quite correct also the length of the indicator stems. I agree I think the smaller indicators look neater. That looks like a nice restoration! Cheers BAZ
kettle738

Post by kettle738 »

Hi Baz, sorry about the picture quality, but it's trapped by other bikes so I had to take them inside. The front stem, just the visible chrome section is 88mm long, that should be correct as they are the originals re chromed, that is plus the threaded section and the section inside the indicator head of course.

The rear one, again just the smooth chromed section between the locking nut and the indicator head is 40mm long. Re the long mudguard, I think that is French, so perhaps they diverted a batch from several countries; mine also came with the later dog leg (GS style) mirrors which are shown in the parts book as correct, but I got fed up with arguing they were the right ones...and they're ugly so I changed them.

This bike starts and runs beautifully....apart from dreadful snatching on light throttle and overrun.....drives me nuts.

What is your chassis number? I've always wondered what the number of the very last kettle off the line is....mainly because it seems impossible to find out; all the other chassis numbers are easily available, but all you get with the B model is the starting number, never the last one..........unless you know different?

Regards..................Mick..........kettle738
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Mick,
Agree with Baz, what a nice machine you have created!
Tell me, is the tank colour original, and if refinished, is it back to the original colour? I ask because (i) I like it and (ii) I don't think I've seen it on any Kettle before (though maybe its my eyes/the pic)? Is it perhaps a very late colour, same as were used on early GS bikes?
Cheers,
Mike