TAA742P

Looking for your old Kettle post registration info here good luck!
redliner

TAA742P

Post by redliner »

evening all - just acquired a GT185, reg TAA742P. Looking at the paperwork that came with it, it looks like its been up and down the country over the years. 6 previous owners according to the V5 - anybody have any knowledge of this one? Cheers.
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
redliner

Re: TAA742P

Post by redliner »

surprise surprise ! a picture of a gt185 appeared on another website (FB group) - taken a few years ago up in Scotland. Turns out its my bike!

The chap who owned it back then had done a resto job on it, and very nice it looked in the photo. However, whoever had it after him did not take such good care of it :( - it certainly wasn't in such good nick when it finally arrived here. Still - nothing that can't be sorted out. I've got it running ok now and in regular use. Its essentially a cosmetics job left to do, with the exception of the front fork sliders (a parcel going off to Philpots sometime, no doubt). Nice to actually get a response from a previous owner, too - sure doesn't happen that often! :)
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Great to speak to a previous owner! The GT world is getting smaller....
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
malky

Post by malky »

You will have some fun with that -cracking little bikes - like a little terrier straining on his lead they just love being revved
Mal
redliner

Post by redliner »

barney & malky - yep, a very pleasant turn up, and I definitely will have some fun with this one. Been out on it today, as it happens! :D
gt185a 001a.JPG
There's been some comment on it as well, especially about model changes/supplied colours, chrome etc - you can see the posts on the 'classic motorcycles from the 70s & 80s' FB group page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
malky

Post by malky »

Looking good there :)
Mal.
redliner

Post by redliner »

thank you malky
just saw a post on another forum about a gt250 non-starter (fuel from exhausts) - is that you?
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
malky

Post by malky »

Sure is ! - the thing is driving me potty it just doesn't want to know - it had been sat outside under a tarp since 1978 and I think it was enjoying it's retirement! I am not happy with the carbs on it so am on the look out for a set of 250M ones which are two bolt fixing but have the usual type idle screws on them instead of the adjusters in the tops - what a difference to the 185 - built one engine out of three put it in and it started straight away
redliner

Post by redliner »

gt250m 003a.JPG
well, if it makes you feel any better, I've got a GT250M here which is doing exactly the same thing as yours! It was running fine, then following a top end strip/rebuild to replace a noisy small end bearing, the bike decided it didn't want to play ball. Nothing else was touched, altered, tweaked - maybe the float height/float seat/blockage by crud suggestion is something to look at, although my one already has inline filters and a vacuum tap that actually works, and the carbs were not touched at all, just unbolted and left in-situ. Will watch your progress with interest, and if I find a solution to the problem with mine, then I'll let you know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
malky

Post by malky »

Cheers, the daft thing was that we had it running before the engine was rebuilt but it's seals were shot and it burnt all its gearbox oil but it was exactly the same then - it will start if you bump it - luckily I have a couple of good hills here but if it doesn't go it's a long push back up :oops: