The BIG Box Project

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
yeadon_m

Re: The BIG Box Project

Post by yeadon_m »

John,
Nice job there. Only hope you haven't sandblasted your fingertips away, it being dark and all.
Cheers,
Mike
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

johnbno1 wrote:well I have been short of motivation its too cold so I forced my self to recover the seat just a word of warning don't sand blast the seat base in the dark using the light from the garage door as it soon became apparent I was standing in my own light and couldn't see anything :roll:

Anyway got it done and painted and fitted the new cover I even managed to remove and refit the trim without damaging it 8-)
20180109_203701.jpg
Superb job.Kev
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

cheers to be honest it was actually easier than I thought after the last one although this one did have the bits that hold the cover already on the base and I didn't have to drill holes for the plastic chrome trim which helped. I also reached for the hairdryer first rather than see if I could manage without ;)
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

so starting to look like a bike now fitted the carbs etc and it runs ok fitted the old airbox covers for now plus I forgot I had some nos ones :oops:
20180116_182927.jpg
I have sent off for the V5 again its changed now apparantly it doesn't have to be inspected but i need photo proof of frame numbers and original plate etc which i have so fingers crossed.

So it looks like paint the tank time quick before it rains again im going for candy gpysy red as i dont fancy another black one the 380 is black
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

managed to paint the tank rubbed it down it was actually straight no filler required :shock:
silver base coat and candy gypsy red I went until I liked the shade but it had topped out anyway.
Paint was from bike colours and un thinned as requested and solvent base so no issues unlike a certain other supplier.
two light coats of laquer and its ready to be flatted down ready for decals
t2.jpg
And with decals and lacquered just needs cutting back
t3.jpg
t4.jpg
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

That tank looks the nuts.. The decals set it off.. Good job.... 8-) 8-) :o :D
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Very nice 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Gorgeous
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

cheers its getting there its not perfect but i don't want a trailer queen i want something I can ride and i wont cry if it gets wet. Its come a long way form 6 mini cheddars boxes a frame and a ripped seat i seem to have loads of bolts and a load of what looks like GS foot rests and stuff left not sure what that's about :shock:

Anyway took some pictures of the chassis plate and frame number etc and filled out the form as requested by DVLA lets see if i get the original number back.
Aslong as it does or gets an age related one at a push and doesnt go on a Q or something stupid im not really bothered.
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

Well its been a while got the original V5 and plate back so happy.

Turns out it was registered Feb 78 last taxed Feb 81 and its one previous owner :shock:

Anyway its Mot exempt but I have had to tax it still a bit to do cosmetically but its sunny so it can wait so here it is from 6 mini chedders boxes to this
Attachments
20180702_154443.jpg