petrol resistant varnish

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Mr Bonehead

petrol resistant varnish

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi,already asked in general discussion so thought I'd try here.

Any recommendations and tips for petrol resistant laquer in a spray can ?

Cheers Mr B
canaletto5

Re: petrol resistant varnish

Post by canaletto5 »

No experience of rattle can 2k stuff. I've seen comments on some automotive forums which are not complimentary, especially of the halford's product. The trouble is that a lot of people posting seem to have only done it once so it is impossible to tell if they are ballsing it up cos they don't know what they are doing :roll: Either way, there is isocyanate in it so you need a decent mask and covering for bare skin etc, the same for spraying.

Have you the kit to spray with a compressor? Kev
teazer

Post by teazer »

Not Varnish or Laquer but is a clear - try Max 2K.

Ity's two pack in a can and is a little bit on the side of toxic, so spray outside and wear a mask, eye protection and cover skin.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

teazer wrote:Not Varnish or Laquer but is a clear - try Max 2K.

Ity's two pack in a can and is a little bit on the side of toxic, so spray outside and wear a mask, eye protection and cover skin.
It's the language , varnish, lacquer and clear are all the same stuff in this context. As some clever sod (George Bernard Shaw I think) said, America and England are divided by a common language. Kev
teazer

Post by teazer »

Sorry to be pedantic old chap, but they are chemically different. ;) :P

I know we tend to use the terms as if they are interchangeable, but they react to each other if applied incorrectly which often happens with rattle can finishes.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I certainly wouldn't mix wood varnish with 2k lacquer that's for sure :lol: I use Max Meyer 2k clear lacquer, works a treat. Kev
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Autotek manufacture a petrol resistant Lacquer.
Mr Bonehead

Post by Mr Bonehead »

Hi thanks caneletto5 and teazer for the replies,seen the 2k stuff but think it's a bit on the nasty side,don't want a nice paint job but no lungs to breath with,plus I live in rural france so if it's not for cows or sheep you won't get it,google the English tv show allo allo and you will get the idea Teazer:lol:
I do have a compressor and gun set up I can use but as of yet no warm dust free booth to use,thinking of waiting until I get set up and using the proper stuff but unsure what to buy to resist the fuel ,got a mate in England who will bring us some back if I can source it on eBay,any suggestions?
In the meantime I might buy some Autodesk stuff as suggested by mizzytheman,give me something to do in between the renovation work on my house and if it looks naff I can do it with the spray gun in summer.

Cheers Mr B
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

teazer wrote:Sorry to be pedantic old chap, but they are chemically different.
Having just visited America, I'll vouch for that.

Errr, you did mean americans and English didn't you? :?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

You can get 2 pack laquer in aerosols over here so no need for a compressor or the nasty mixing of chemicals. I normally wear a suitable mask and spray outdoors. Apart from 2 pack I have not come across a laquer that is genuinely petrol resistant