The BIG Box Project

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
johnbno1

The BIG Box Project

Post by johnbno1 »

box gt.jpg
ok well I don't seem to post much on here so some may see this as a little ambitious :lol: :lol: but I bought this just over 12 months ago because its a 750B and a UK one slight problem is the is no paperwork just a number plate.

Then because I was actually looking for a 550k I bought this as a quick fix to run and sort at a later date which was advertised as well I just don't think the guy knew just how many problems it had.
gt55.jpg
so I put a battery on it and the wiring went up wrong regualator along with carb kits for the later model etc anyway no problem all sorted painted it so 2 reprays and decal kits later its mot time crank went on the way home er great one
So a total strip powder coated the frame etc rebuilt crank engine back in kickstart spring snapped GRRRR.
Amyway finally got to this still a few bits to do but happy enough apart from everytime I go out on it I get caught in the rain :?
gt5502 - Copy.jpg
So to cut along story short its finally its big or bit box project time :D
canaletto5

Re: The BIG Box Project

Post by canaletto5 »

So the usual straight forward resto then :lol: :lol:

Nice colour that - Hermosa Blue?

Kev
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

Yes i always preffered the blue, i know what you mean this one is possibly going worse i have been collecting what i knew i needed for the last 12 month's when i could afford its actually getting there now sort of i will try and post some more pics i took as i went later
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

ok so obviously no strip down pictures in was all in boxes supposedly complete although it did come with a list of what was in each box.
The frame and engine numbers both start with an 8 and match the headstock chassis plate though so I'm happy enough

So off with the frame to the powder coaters first job and strip the motor first slight problem
clutch.jpg
Five snapped bolts in the crankcase which had been glued in the holes along with a glued clutch basket :shock: Yeah Really

Sent the crank off to Chris Appelbey never used him before and sourced a new basket and some stainless bolts I will cut to size,

Best get drilling then only took me a week but a week is better than a scrap engine if I had got it wrong patience is a virtue apparently
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

You must be crackers. :lol:
Attachments
08F8F7D4-3338-4A99-9B5A-E70B6AD82DF7.jpeg
08F8F7D4-3338-4A99-9B5A-E70B6AD82DF7.jpeg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
zapo

Post by zapo »

johnbno1 wrote:Five snapped bolts in the crankcase which had been glued in the holes along with a glued clutch basket :shock: Yeah Really
Bolts glued in!!!!!.........now why did I never think of that :roll:
I had two stroke's and survived.
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

mizzytheman wrote:You must be crackers. :lol:
my other half said something similar when she found out especially when she found out how much it was perhaps not as polite though :lol: :lol:

Anyway I didn't have any aroldite so I drilled the broken bolts out retapped where nessasary removed the rust from the barrel studs and painted the lot.
I'm hoping that will stop the bolts corroding and the barrels seizing
cases - Copy.jpg
In the meantime I started on the frame repairing the rear shock mounts for a change fitting a few bits I had cleaned and soda blasting the fork lowers before rebuilding with new stantions time to move it out of the extension and into the garage
frame - Copy.jpg
still no sign of a crankshaft but I have managed to to find the rest of the engine parts and some good second hand pistons on evilbay the bores look ok no steps at the top and still on standard size.

I'm trying to be careful money wise as I don't have a V5 and it needs inpecting before they will issue one and I can retain the plate? plus I don't want a trailer queen I'm scared of getting wet
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

If you have the number plate and your confident the frame number is correct then you only have to apply for a new v5 on a form v62 ?Kev
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

Hi Kev I tried that but they said its not on the new system and they want to inspect it before they issue the V5 the frame and engine numbers match the headstock plate and its S reg so I'm hoping I can retain it,

My mate has been told the same thing over a Lambretta and he has the plate an old tax disc and the old style log book so I think they must have tightened things up to stop people doing dodgy stuff?
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Bummer :(