The BIG Box Project

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
johnbno1

Re: The BIG Box Project

Post by johnbno1 »

Yeah I thought something along those lines myself :)

anyway found another few pics so the crank came back so I put the motor back together I'm not sure if I should polish everything as having done that before once you do you have to keep doing which I don't tend to have time for :o
engine1.jpg
I got the wheels back on I do have some more the ones on it arnt brilliant but they will do for now and dropped the engine in
20171101_124041.jpg
So thats about where I am now I need to fit the looms got some nos ones and get as far as I can cleaning and painting bits until the carbs come back as I was struggling with time so I sent those to Baz.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

I'd move your tools into the extension.
Oh, and I can guess what the PO died of. :?
Minicheddaritis maximus arsus. Horrible way to go.
Mike
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

I know I think he must of been addicted to eat all those I didn't like to ask him :lol:

Did cross my mind its get decidedly colder I think it may be time to break out the heater soon.

On the plus side the boxes are going down nicely and space is improving the more bits I fit :D
On the minus side the more I look at it the more I dislike the big indicators and square back light :(
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Funny you say that about the B. When I went looking for my first GT750, I was sure I wanted a B, and I bought one. It and me never 'bonded' and I sold it 18 months in. I'd bought a tatty 750A around the same time and that still looks 'right' to me, 8 years on!
However, I have a GT380B, which I've owned since I was a lad, and no other 380 model would be right. The 550B, I'm still deciding if I love it enough to have it as a forever bike. If not, I'd start again and do an A model.
Mike
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

i always preferred the A but I do like the satin black bits I don't know to be honest I'm just going to build what I liked if I'm fair but make sure I have the right bits in case I ever sell it I think
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

oh bit more done I put the pipes on to try and motivate myself fitted some higg speeds I had for now as I didn't feel like cleaning the original and I'm not sure where the joints are for the centre pipes, but I cant get a lot further until the carbs come back
20171114_180447.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

yeadon_m wrote: Minicheddaritis maximus arsus.
Paul's from Cheshire, he could have that. :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:
yeadon_m wrote: Minicheddaritis minimus arsus.
Paul's from Cheshire, he could have that. :roll:
Alan you really are quite knowledgable at times!
notice I said QUITE, cheddar is in a totally different part of the world to Cheshire, anyway I live in LANCASHIRE despite what local government think :roll: mini cheddars are my fave butty box addition (especially the new Stilton flavour variety when I can find em)
btw a butty box is what you put your butty’s in for your dinner :shock: for those suveners amongst us a butty is also (rarely up here) called a sandwich and dinner is between 12.00 & 13.00 any later and it’s tea time :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

It's cheese disease so same old same old. And your butties are barms, so more than one is barmy. 'Nuff said.
I do have some mini cheddars in the garage in case of a quick attack of starveitis.
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

well I have been short of motivation its too cold so I forced my self to recover the seat just a word of warning don't sand blast the seat base in the dark using the light from the garage door as it soon became apparent I was standing in my own light and couldn't see anything :roll:

Anyway got it done and painted and fitted the new cover I even managed to remove and refit the trim without damaging it 8-)
20180109_203701.jpg