PROJECT TETANUS

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
rodent

Re: PROJECT TETANUS

Post by rodent »

Kettletimes3 wrote:If your bath has done that to that seat base i would hate to think what it would do to your skin.
It's only vinegar 8-)

I may have sourced a good secondhand seat base today 8-)

I posted another thread about oil tank caps, I should probably have posted the pic there but here it is here :)

My missus printed of the 118 page 2smoker service bulletins today, it's nice to have a hard copy to peruse while your perched on Lav :lol:

rodent

Post by rodent »

I had a seat turn up today and the base is in perfect condition, and the price I believe was very reasonable :D It is a later model one but I can make it work.

I think I have found a guy locally who has a lot of spares for these bikes, gonna make up a list on the weekend and see what comes of it.

Pulling the head and barrels, is it easier to do in the frame or should the engine be removed? I do know the barrels are hard to remove.
teazer

Post by teazer »

It is easier to remove barrels and head when the motor is on the workbench, but they can be removed quite easily in place. That motor is incredibly heavy, so try to get a mate to help you when you remove it. It's much lighter if you have already removed barrels, head, alternator cover and alternator.
rodent

Post by rodent »

I had the calipers turn up in the mail this week, as they were not on the bike when I received it. I pulled them down today and they seem quite reasonable for something that's been sitting for so long.

The pistons are in good condition up to where they seal, but obviously they will need replacing. The Ali part of the caliper has a few dark splotches in it, but there is no real corrosion and it feels smooth to the touch and the piston still slides in and out easy yet is snug.

Question: At what stage do you guys consider there to be too much discoloration/corrosion to go the the level of re-sleeving the caliper? I'm happy to get it done, but I don't just want to do it for the sake of doing it.

.....and a couple of pics of the seat hinges :)

On a different note, when I restore something I usually try to accumulate most everything(that I can see visually) that I know needs replacing prior to pulling things apart. It was suggested to me that the Bottle engine may be my biggest hurdle and the I should start with it.......what say you?

rodent

Post by rodent »

teazer wrote:It is easier to remove barrels and head when the motor is on the workbench, but they can be removed quite easily in place. That motor is incredibly heavy, so try to get a mate to help you when you remove it. It's much lighter if you have already removed barrels, head, alternator cover and alternator.
^^^^Thanks 8-)
rodent

Post by rodent »

Seat pics..... I believe this is a later seat but will work with a little work, the guy I bought it from has another seat which I believe is an earlier seat but needs more work. I will probably get the other one for originality sake. Tig welding a bit of mild steel is no bother 8-)

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

rodent wrote:I had the calipers turn up in the mail this week, as they were not on the bike when I received it. I pulled them down today and they seem quite reasonable for something that's been sitting for so long.

The pistons are in good condition up to where they seal, but obviously they will need replacing. The Ali part of the caliper has a few dark splotches in it, but there is no real corrosion and it feels smooth to the touch and the piston still slides in and out easy yet is snug.

Question: At what stage do you guys consider there to be too much discoloration/corrosion to go the the level of re-sleeving the caliper? I'm happy to get it done, but I don't just want to do it for the sake of doing it.

.....and a couple of pics of the seat hinges :)

On a different note, when I restore something I usually try to accumulate most everything(that I can see visually) that I know needs replacing prior to pulling things apart. It was suggested to me that the Bottle engine may be my biggest hurdle and the I should start with it.......what say you?

The caliper piston pot looks fine. Don't forget to ease the corroded metal ring out of it's seat, the one that clamps the dust boot. You can buy replacement stainless one's from Astrax on here I believe but they also appear on ebay from time to time. Kev
rodent

Post by rodent »

canaletto5 wrote:The caliper piston pot looks fine. Don't forget to ease the corroded metal ring out of it's seat, the one that clamps the dust boot. You can buy replacement stainless one's from Astrax on here I believe but they also appear on ebay from time to time. Kev
Thanks for the heads up Kev 8-)
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

+1 what Kev says. Once you've got the rusted ring out of the caliper, carefully pry out the seal and add to your list for a new one. The single, critical feature in that caliper is, in fact, the seal groove. Its often full of ali corroded mush. I have found that, once its been wiped clea with carb cleaner on kitchen towel, pushed around the groove with a sharpened piece of wood (do resist the temptation to poke it with a small screwdriver!), the best way to clean the groove is with a small brass brush in a dremel tool. It'll whizz it perfectly clean in no time, no damage to ali. Its important that the seal goes all the way home in its groove, because it distorts with the tiny movement of the piston, and must have room to do so, and to relax again when you release the brake lever, or the brake will grab.
Cheers,
Mike
ps: nice job of driving out the piston with grease - a great technique and safer than compressed air...
Attachments
Caliper piston seal groove (2).JPG
rodent

Post by rodent »

I don't think there's much of the fuel tanks hide left :(