PROJECT TETANUS

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
rodent

Re: PROJECT TETANUS

Post by rodent »

I'm sending my Master cylinder off to the the States Monday to get re-sleeved :)

I'm disappointed that I couldn't get it done here :(

I can do a lot of stuff myself, but I draw the line at spending hundreds to do a job that I can farm out for ten's :roll:
rodent

Post by rodent »

Started the barrel removal process, as expected it's a bit stubborn :tw

Bought a pair of new side covers from Suzuki, still stocking parts 45 years on...well done Suzuki 8-)

rodent

Post by rodent »

I win, one to nothing :)

rodent

Post by rodent »

Pulled the barrel/head studs today, they came out easily enough with a bit of encouragement 8-) Measured the barrels (after a slight hone to clean up) and there isn't a great deal of wear at all. Outside barrels measured at 70.05mm, and the middle one was .001" larger.

If I was kid again with little to no capital, I'd be re-ringing the sucker and fit a new little end bearings and re-assembling :lol:

I'll end up taking it out to 70.5mm to bring it back to "as new".

Gotta try and find a local guy to rebuild the crank, don't wanna send to the UK or US if I can avoid it.

Because it's a "K", what would you guys do regarding the Rod/Piston shim deal? Set it up the same or change the Rod/Piston setup to a later setup? Can you guys suggest a vendors rod/seal kit that you would use?

I've gotta have this scooter keep me entertained.......or I'm gonna have to turn my sights to my Nova and see what I broke last time I went out for a drive :(
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi Ratty!
I can't answer your question, but some of the lads here probably know. I'm replying simply to bump your post.
Cheers,
Mike
teazer

Post by teazer »

I would look into the possibility of fitting a later crank. It's not just the thrust washers moving from big end to little end. The flywheels are also a different thickness. I have seen a couple of cranks with one early rod on a late crank or one late rod on an early crank. Very strange.

If you cannot locate a later model crank, locally, you could rebuild the old crank and keep/replace the lower end thrust washers. In OZ, I have no idea who can do that stuff today. Graham Bird in VIC used to rebuild mine he passed years ago. I want to say that Bert Kingston in QLD used to do cranks but again that was a lifetime back. Ask around. Someone there must be able to do them. Who do the Yamaha TD3 racers take their cranks to? Ask one of the Hinton family or head down to the next HRR race meeting and ask around in the pits - ask Honda CB72 or CB350 guys. Their cranks are pressed up same as a GT or RD.

OEM seals are what I use and should be available from a dealer or get a set off ebay.
rodent

Post by rodent »

teazer wrote:I would look into the possibility of fitting a later crank. It's not just the thrust washers moving from big end to little end. The flywheels are also a different thickness. I have seen a couple of cranks with one early rod on a late crank or one late rod on an early crank. Very strange.

If you cannot locate a later model crank, locally, you could rebuild the old crank and keep/replace the lower end thrust washers. In OZ, I have no idea who can do that stuff today. Graham Bird in VIC used to rebuild mine he passed years ago. I want to say that Bert Kingston in QLD used to do cranks but again that was a lifetime back. Ask around. Someone there must be able to do them. Who do the Yamaha TD3 racers take their cranks to? Ask one of the Hinton family or head down to the next HRR race meeting and ask around in the pits - ask Honda CB72 or CB350 guys. Their cranks are pressed up same as a GT or RD.

OEM seals are what I use and should be available from a dealer or get a set off ebay.

Thanks for the "in-depth" reply brother 8-) I will be picking up a "genuine" set of seals for the rebuild. I realise that there are guys selling seal kits for a lot less than genuine, but after a full rebuild of the engine, I really don't want to see it fail due to a "cheap" seal install :(

I have been given some direction from local guys as to who can rebuild the crank, I am going to drop into one of the places in the near future to "feel them out" :)

Off "crank" topic, I did mention that I bought a replacement fuel tank(I think), myself, wife and my son all like the replacement tank paint scheme. So I may move away from the Blue to the Red 8-)

What say you?

rodent

Post by rodent »

Pulled 'ole Tetanus down a bit more today. Found some more quality wiring work :D

I wonder if the wiring was butchered due to a miss on one of the cylinders, picture below gives me a feeling it was :)

The sticker on the headstock, are they being repro'd by anyone?

barney01

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
rodent

Post by rodent »

Thanks for the link Barney, but I'd rather stick with the same style or I'll use the original one.