Does anyone else keep track of costs?

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
swarrans

Re: Does anyone else keep track of costs?

Post by swarrans »

Interesting to see other people's views on it. I guess I'm a bit nerdy and similar to Paul like to keep a detailed record.

I'm lucky enough to have bought my GT750 from a guy I know who had it from new so not only do I have my detailed records but I have a lot of his too. What wasn't so lucky was that he stored it in a chicken shed for 9 years before I bought it so it was a little sorry for itself - including 2 desiccated mice (1 in the airbox and 1 next to the final drive sprocket!).

From the records I've got he spent a small fortune on servicing and maintenance at main dealers over the 30 years he owned it for. He must have had some problems with the front brakes (or he was remarkably aggressive!) because he had new calipers and discs at 18,000 miles and apparently another new set of discs 600 miles later!

The bike cost him £960 new and he spent about another £4,000 with main dealers, mostly in the 19 years he was actively riding it up to 18,000 miles.

I got it when it had done 19,897 miles and what I've spent on it is a secret!

Simon
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Simon,
Thats an astonishing amount he spent, especially as for man of the years, the £ was worth something!
A good history there, your bike.
I thought it rode better than mine even before you restored it! but it might be that what I thought plush suspension was just saggy, and I liked it that way :lol:
Mike
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

That's very kind of you Mike - but I'd swap anytime!! (although having said that is does look a lot better than when you last saw it). Speaking of which we must get together now the weather is improving...

Simon
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

i normally try and set a target in case I ever have to sell so I know whats an acceptable loss because I really don't think that spending 15k on a restoration makes it worth that much if you sell it and in case I'm being ridiculous buying things I don't really need.

I suppose an example would be perhaps er 2k lambretta engine anyone or something like that :shock:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Sorry, but I wouldn't give 2 grand for all the lambretta engines ever built.
Not since I once fitted one to a Land Rover as a wiper motor.
Costs are relative I suppose.......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Does anyone else keep track of costs?
Simple answer NO, mind you I can’t count past ten without taking my socks off :roll:
There you go Alan, an open goal :o
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

PaulD738 wrote:Does anyone else keep track of costs?
Simple answer NO, mind you I can’t count past ten without taking my socks off :roll:
Does that mean you can count up to 44?..
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Only because you're yoo lazy. Or tighter than me.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

canaletto5 wrote:
Does that mean you can count up to 44?..
Come on Kev, you know it’s the yorkies who have extra digits because of their “preferred” methods of procreation :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
teazer

Post by teazer »

I used to keep track on a simple pad an paper and later moved up to spreadsheets. Now I just put them into an accounting system so I can see what's been spent on different projects. I have to do that for client's bikes, so I may as well do the same for my own projects.

I'm tempted to change that to a full on inventory system so I can see what's in stock, but that is more work that it's worth.