Does anyone else keep track of costs?

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Kurgan36

Re: Does anyone else keep track of costs?

Post by Kurgan36 »

I work on the principle that the wife gets a new car every 3 years and no matter what you buy her you lose 50% on it !

Whatever you spend on the bike will be a lot less cost than the depreciation on her car and in three years time while her car has halved in price the bike could have actually increased in value !

So whatever you spend the bike is a winner .

Kurgan
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Kurgan,
Thats a good way of looking at things, I think I'll adopt it too!

Simon,
I'm in better shape than when we last met up, but equally, still hampered to a degree. I'm now fully retired and home most days, so just ping me here or phone and pop over. Come in a car if its damp!

Cheers,
Mike
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

My view on this is if you count up how much you have spent it would probably scare the life out of you to ride the bloody bike!
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

I know what you mean Gary - to some extent I use that philosophy to stop me spending too much and therefore prevent me from using the bikes as they were intended.

I'm just about to try and fire up my Honda CBX for the season - the major concern is if the carbs will still be ok because unlike the Kettle it is a major re-commisioning job if they have problems! (you have to tilt the engine and remove the exhaust even before you take them off and they are way more problematic than Kettles)

Mike, I'll be in touch in the near future - sorry it's been a while, we've had a few problems here too.

Simon
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

On a related subject, whilst I have no intention of (ever) selling my bike, looking at prices being asked on eBay (and I recognise that they probably aren't selling at the hyper-prices) I'm wondering if I should up the insurance value?
Mine is not an immaculate example, but it is an original UK bike with new exhausts and full history and I have it insured for £5,000. It doesn't look like I could anything remotely like it for that if the worst should happen, so I guess I should up it a bit?

Simon
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Simon,
I had my nice 750A model insured at an agreed value of £8300. I've not reevaluated value since 2010, and the insurer had no problem with the number then.
Cheers,
Mike
Cleethorpes64

Post by Cleethorpes64 »

Lets not forget boys, Pleasure = Cost. In which ever form............. :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Cleethorpes64 wrote:Lets not forget boys, Pleasure = Cost. In which ever form............. :lol:
You 're obviously not a Yorkshireman........ :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Cleethorpes64

Post by Cleethorpes64 »

Ha ha, I’m just far enough away from the demarcation zone :o
philshort7390

Post by philshort7390 »

Yes, I kept track, just shy of £12k on my rebuild - that doesn't include the cost of the bike. Wish I hadn't! ;)